Shallow plasterboad boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to add a double socket to a wall which is plasterboard with a gap behind it and then concrete block. I have ~22mm from the face of the block to the surface of the plasterboard. Are there any shallow dry wall / plasterboard sockets out there or will it have to be a metal box fixed to the block? I can see shallow metal boxes but not plasterboad boxes.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
OK, so assuming I chase out some of the concrete block, should I still use a plasterboard box? I assume I should use conduit to take the cables behind the plasterboard and down below the floor?

Thanks!

no use metal.. "plasterboard boxes" are for use in stud walls where there is no solid surface to fix a box to..

don't need to bother with conduit..
must use gromets in the holes..
socket must be RCD protected ( can be an RCD socket or fed from RCD protected circuit )

new cable must be RCD protected or installed in earthed metalic conduit or trunking, or wired in a suitable cable such as Ali-Tube..

Sponsored Links
OK, the plasterboard is currently off the wall after a water leak soaked it. It's being replaced by the freeholder's contractor and I spied the opportunity to get another socket in. How should I go about this? I'm thinking:
1. Chase hole ready for box
2. Put plastic conduit in place from position of socket to underneath floor, just to aid feeding wires later
3. Contractor puts up plasterboard (not dabbing where the box will go!)
4. Cut hole in plasterboard and fit box
5. Get electrician to wire up
6. Decorate

Does this sound sensible? I've no experience in such things but fancy taking advantage of the opportunity given by the plasterboard being absent.

Edit: Circuit is RCD protected.

OK, the plasterboard is currently off the wall after a water leak soaked it. It's being replaced by the freeholder's contractor and I spied the opportunity to get another socket in.

ok, STOP right there...

is there a possibility ( no matter how small ) of there being another leak there?
where is this socket to be located ( kitchen? )

How should I go about this? I'm thinking:
2. Put plastic conduit in place from position of socket to underneath floor, just to aid feeding wires later
6. Decorate

1, 4 ( fit box part of it ), 2, 3 ( contractor will cut box out.. ) 5, 6..

if you don't need the socket just yet, fit a blanking plate over it..

Does this sound sensible? I've no experience in such things but fancy taking advantage of the opportunity given by the plasterboard being absent.

do you really need another socket there?

OK, the plasterboard is currently off the wall after a water leak soaked it. It's being replaced by the freeholder's contractor and I spied the opportunity to get another socket in.

ok, STOP right there...
is there a possibility ( no matter how small ) of there being another leak there?
where is this socket to be located ( kitchen? )

The leak was related to the roof, I currently have a few blocks missing as part of the investigation and scaffold outside. I won't be letting the blocks (and plasterboard) be replaced until the leak is most definitely fixed! It's in my bedroom which is currently slightly draughty due to the missing blocks...

How should I go about this? I'm thinking:
6. Decorate

1, 4 ( fit box part of it ), 2, 3 ( contractor will cut box out.. ) 5, 6..

if you don't need the socket just yet, fit a blanking plate over it..

Is it not difficult to position the box ready to be flush with the plasterboard when the plasterboard isn't there?

do you really need another socket there?

This is why I'm working it out in advance of doing it. If it's too much trouble then I'll leave it as it is. On the other hand I need to do these things sometime so I might as well learn now!

Thanks

Is it not difficult to position the box ready to be flush with the plasterboard when the plasterboard isn't there?

It doesn't have to be perfectly flush. Just make sure it isn't going to be sticking out of the wall. If it ends up set back into the wall a bit it will not matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back