Shaping aluminium - dolly/buck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a fibreglass seat/tank unit with no aluminium tank.
I have bought a slightly larger aluminium tank (second hand) that I intend to cut/ bash and fit
Once it s the correct shape/size I will get a welder to tig it together.

The first plan was to try to make a wooden buck that fits inside the fibreglass, and once it's right, form the alloy over that. I shelved the idea

Then I lined the unit with tinfoil and molded the inside with modrock (plaster bandage) and now have a 3D shaped replica of the desired shape. The plan was to measure and copy dimensions

Recently on face book a guy showed how he shaped a "negative" impression in a home made concrete block. He then used it to shape his metal. My tank design will be a sort of teardrop so in theory the shape is doable. I'd add rebar and odds and sods for strength

I am quite keen on this?

Fourth option... a tree has recently fallen nearby. (Oak) I could "borrow" a log and hack it about with a chainsaw and belt sander, making a buck from solid green wood.

Am I bonkers?

Sponsored Links
Ye gods!
I think you could get the shape you need by using a bossing mallet and a leather sand bag, but bear in mind that aluminium needs to be annealed just like other non ferrous metals.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back