Shared drainpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help, I live in a semi detached house and share a drain pipe with my neighbour. The pipe is on my neighbours properly but it's a shared amenity.

My neighbour recently had a conservatory built and whilst building it he dismantled the drain pipe, which used to run into a soak away in the ground and has replaced it so that it now finishes in the guttering of his conservatory.

My neighbour gave me no prior notification that he intended to do this. When I broached the subject with my neighbour he was under the impression that because the pipe is on his property he can do what he likes with it, although he can only access the pipe by coming into my garden, which he did when I was on holiday which I thought was sneaky.

Does anyone know if I am within my rights to change the pipe back to its original position? I can do this easily from my garden. The pipe as it is is not functioning effectively and needs to go back where the soak away is.

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Thank you. !

Sponsored Links
What has he done with the conservatory down pipe?

Surly would if been better to chop/tee into original down pipe and let it carry on to the soak away?!

Thanks for the reply! I agree it would of been better for him to do that! The pipe now runs all the way around his conservatory and just finishes at the end of the conservatory roof, it doesn't lead to a soak away. My concern is that it's not as efficient now that it has been taken away from the soak away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back