Shaver sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use trimmers for my beard. They have a normal three-pin plug, same as any tv, radio, kettle etc. I would like to be able to use them in the bathroom to allow the sink to catch stray hairs.

Right next to the sink I have a shaver socket with an on/off switch and a 115/240v selector switch. Can I plug my trimmers into european adapter, then into the shaver socket?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
need more detail,

what power rating?
do they have a detatchable mains flex?
do they require an earth? (if not there should be a double insulated symbol on them)

The mains flex is not detatchable. The plug on the Wahl trimmers is rated at 250v with a 13A fuse. Since the plug has three prongs, I thought the one at the top was always the 'earth.'

On the trimmers themselves it says '240V~50Hz.' I don't know where to find a 'double insultated symbol' or what it would look like. Power wise, I'm not sure what they draw - they are old and instructions/packaging is long gone. Comparable product would be http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4422622.htm

As you can probably tell, my knowledge of electricity and it's jargon is minimal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
do they require an earth? (if not there should be a double insulated symbol on them)

Surely nothing requires an earth after an isolationg transformer and connecting an earth core to anything would be a waste of time (or do not all shaver sockets have isolation transformers in them?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back