Shed Base Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am having a 20ft x 10ft shed built in 4 weeks. I have to do the groundwork myself before then.
So i am hiring a digger and wacker plate.
I am planning on putting down 4 tonne or about 4 inches of MOT1 material, wacking it down. Then using slabs. I have tried to get the slabs cheap or free, so i have about 30 of them (600x600) at the moment. I know i need to ask the manufacturer for the spacing of the bearers (they are 3 x 2). But am hoping to put down rows of slabs running front to back, opposite to the bearers, leaving about a foot gap inbetween each slab and inbetween each row. That should reduce the amount of slabs i need.

Does this sound ok? Can i lay the slabs straight onto the MOT? Should i dot and dab them? Or just sand and lay them on that with formwork around the edge to prevent the sand from going anywhere?
The shed is going to be used as a workshop - light power tool, bandsaw, table saw etc.
I just want to keep cost down as the shed has just cost me £1150

Sponsored Links
the bearers will be between 400-600mm or 16- 24" centres at a guess

all i have done is put concrete blocks spaced apart straight on the turf, two by three bearers, lots of very heavy machinery in the sheds, no problems.

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine slabbed my driveway last year. He does a lot of slabbing. What he does is mix some cement in with the sand and lays the slabs on the dry mix. Presumably the moisture in the ground sets off the cement sand mix. Drive hasn't heaved even with the heavy winter.

A friend of mine slabbed my driveway last year. He does a lot of slabbing. What he does is mix some cement in with the sand and lays the slabs on the dry mix. Presumably the moisture in the ground sets off the cement sand mix. Drive hasn't heaved even with the heavy winter.

When I did my Dad's with him, that is what we did, I think since then, one or two have come a little loose, but nothing compared to what it was like before

The shed is going to be used as a workshop - light power tool, bandsaw, table saw etc.

and it's 20ft x 10ft? where did you get it from? I've been looking for a pretty big sized shed to use as a studio when doing paintings (I keep spilling paint and ruining things in my house) I don't really know where to start looking, I wanna know I'm finding one of the most competitive prices

My next door neighbour used slabs a bearers and left a one slab space between each and this resulted in him getting a rats nest underneath the shed

and it's 20ft x 10ft? where did you get it from? I've been looking for a pretty big sized shed to use as a studio when doing paintings (I keep spilling paint and ruining things in my house) I don't really know where to start looking, I wanna know I'm finding one of the most competitive prices

Hi - i got mine off ebay. Theres loads of companies that advertise on there. Some use OSB etc but the one i have purchased is all solid T&G. Wasnt cheap but they are coming and putting it up for me.
If you want the link etc then let me know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back