Shed buying advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking at buying a shed today but i am struggling to know the difference between a good shed and a bad shed. Both are similar priced, one is slightly bigger then the other (10cm wider) but the other looks more robust in the poor quality pictures.

Can anyone shed (ha ha ha...) any light on this?

Slightly wider; http://www.shedsworld.co.uk/p/6ft_x_4ft_(1.84m_x_1.29m)_Single_Door_Overlap_Apex_Shed.htm

Looks better quality(?): http://www.shedstore.co.uk/wooden-g...-64/shed-plus-overlap-apex-garden-shed-6-by-4

Cheers guys :)

Sponsored Links
go for pressure treated shiplap
more expensive but will last
but make sure it "pressure treated" and not just treated or"finished in oak coloured etc??"

Sponsored Links
I was looking at those sheds but as i will be using it so store my winter wheels/summer wheels for my car at any one time part of the shed will always be taken up. Same with a big Mitre Saw I have which wont get much use for the time being. As a result I quite liked the 'deep' shed to have them tucked away at the back.

Also no kids at home!

you can ignore the 10 year g/tee it will require jumping through several hoops and constant treatment thats assuming they are still trading when it rots in the corner :D

you definately dont want overlap as your insurance wont cover the wheels in a unsecured shed as in to easy to break into
ask you insurance company what they require before buying anything

tbh the value of the stuff inside isnt a massive concern for me, I have security lighting in the garden and the wheels are not massively valuable. I also have a large well maintained fence around the garden & my home policy does cover 'sheds' with no mention of type etc :)

look up a local shed manufacturer & go and see their stuff. Most the cheap stuff on the web is sh*t and not woth using as firewood.

sussexx timber products, I have heard do some reasonable buildings

Depends how long you're staying at your current address. As fencer35 says, cheap sheds have a very short life and are generally fit only for firewood after 5 - 7 years.
£200 6x4 shed - lasts 5 years - cost per year £40
£600 6x4 shed - lasts 25 years - cost per year £24

Shiplap is where the timbers lock together with tongue and groove joints, whereas overlap is like fence panels - therefore very cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back