Shed electrics question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I've just had a new shed and would like to supply it with electricity. My problem is that the ground between my house and shed is a driveway. My intention is that I run the cable in conduit from my CU via the outside walls to the shed.

The conduit would be mounted below the overhanging lip from the steps from my driveway.

Obviously my question is that is this pushing the limit of the rules in that I'm classing the rise of the step as a wall as you can run conduit outside along a wall.

Failing this where on earth do I get the support wires / caternary stuff?

Thoughts please.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt install anything underneath a stair like that.

Can't you go over the door or as you mention, use catenery?

Sponsored Links
Well Ive done the route as planned (on the riser of the steps below the lip) and was a bit over the top as I've run the 6mm SWA from the house inside 25mm crush resistant poly conduit. Never knew how much of a pain that it would be threading that!

Just need to terminate the SWA in the house at some point then that'll be me sorted!

Well Ive done the route as planned (on the riser of the steps below the lip) and was a bit over the top as I've run the 6mm SWA from the house inside 25mm crush resistant poly conduit. Never knew how much of a pain that it would be threading that!

Just need to terminate the SWA in the house at some point then that'll be me sorted!

Why?

Do you plan on glanding it directly into your CU?

What will it supply in the shed, and how will it be terminated there?

What is the length of the run to the shed, what is the design current, and what protective device will it be on?

Where will the RCD protection be?

Did you use 2-core or 3-core SWA?

Do you have a TN-C-S supply and extraneous-conductive-parts in the shed?

When you've got the cable to the shed installed, and the cables within the shed, what tests will you carry out on them?

What sequence will you do the tests in and at what point will you energise the circuits?

For each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you will carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you will expect to get if everything is OK?

My CU is a metalised on (older) so this will allow me to gland it to it with out the use of a break out box and additional cable.

Two light fittings with 11w CFL's two 2g DP swithc sockets, one continually on for a fridge freezer

What is the length of the run to the shed, what is the design current, and what protective device will it be on?

Lenght to shed @ 10m. Will be on a 32 mcb at home CU.

RCD protection in home CU but also RCD in Shed mini consumer unit.

3 core, using the cores for live, netrual & earth with the metal shroud earthed at both ends.

No extra metal parts in shed and no water plumbed to it.

When you've got the cable to the shed installed, and the cables within the shed, what tests will you carry out on them?

Earth impedance, conductivity/bonding.

What sequence will you do the tests in and at what point will you energise the circuits?

Conductivity & bonding 1st then, Insulation resistances, Earth impedance as that requires the power on.

For each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you will carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you will expect to get if everything is OK?

For the conductivity & bonding <0.1ohms ideal , impedance testing values vary depending on the circuit breaker but I'm looking for 0.75 ohm, testing will allow for the proction afforded by the MCBs & RCD to operate correctly & protect ME.

'Scuse me if its not 100% I never had time to revise.

My CU is a metalised on (older) so this will allow me to gland it to it with out the use of a break out box and additional cable.

Two light fittings with 11w CFL's two 2g DP swithc sockets, one continually on for a fridge freezer

3 core, using the cores for live, netrual & earth with the metal shroud earthed at both ends.

Conductivity & bonding 1st then, Insulation resistances, Earth impedance as that requires the power on.

For the conductivity & bonding <0.1ohms ideal , impedance testing values vary depending on the circuit breaker but I'm looking for 0.75 ohm, testing will allow for the proction afforded by the MCBs & RCD to operate correctly & protect ME.

'Scuse me if its not 100% I never had time to revise.

???? :confused: :confused:

What bonding ar you checking for?? How do you plan on checking conductivity, and of what? I think you are out of your depth im afraid. Perhaps you could get a spark to test the installation for you, in the form of a PIR although dont expect to get it signed off.

NO I DID NOT.

Go away.

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back