shed pub power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i want to run power to a shed pub i want it to have three 13a double sockets for two beer fridges other sockets for tv playstation and free view. i have a long garden and its down the end its approximatly 40 meters from a cu in the garage can i run armoured cable from that to a small cu in the shed and put in a small ring main in for the sockets. if so what amp cable to also allow for any amp drop.??

thanks for any advise

Sponsored Links
The distance is taken from the mains intake, not the sub main in the garage.

Also
This is notifiable work. Do you have, or access to calibrated test equipment so that you can complete a BS7671 installation certificate that will satisfy the local authority? And the skills to complete the works in accordance with BS7671?

Better to concentrate on the pub business and engage a registered electrician to do this work.

Sponsored Links
The wiring to any outbuilding has a huge jump in what is required either side of the 13A (3kW) limit.

First job is to decide if your needs are over or under 13A and it does not matter if you pay the LABC their dues or use a scheme member electrician you need to answer this question.

Up to 13A the fused connection unit (FCU) and if required RCD FCU will do the job without any consumer units (CU) and will be far cheaper. Lights can be from a switched FCU with a 3A fuse so far cheaper.

Over 13A then a CU is a must.

So 40M at 13A then likely 2.5 mm sq will be ample. Clearly one should calculate using the loop impedance but unlikely it will be a problem. Over the 13A barrier then there is no option but to calculate. I use an excel program made years ago and if I was asked how it worked well can't remember.

As to the legal bit likely cheaper not to DIY. But that would depend to if any other work was included in same application. If going with LABC then under 13A is simple over and the work is far greater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back