Shed treatment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a good quality treatment on my shed. As it is mainly planed wood I know I need a special material as the sawn timber oils are no good and do not last.

Any recommendations pls?

:D

Sponsored Links
I used one of the Cuprinol range....

Took two coats, (Inside and out for me), but has been there over the winter and is holding up with no probs.

Nce shed, but really it would have held up for a few years even if you put no treatment on it. I'm not surprised you've got badgers though, they probably see it as a bit of a des res. :D

Sponsored Links
Bugger to a few years - I want it to last at least 10 as that is where 'er indoors says she will bury me!! :)

TEN????????? I'd be looking at 40, even 60. The point I was making was that as long as it doesn't get excessively wet, even untreated softwood will last a fair while.

Cuprinol shed and fence. 5 litre tin should do it. Noticably more expensive than other shed/fence products but it contains a wood preserver in the formula. Also very thin and soaks in really well.

The only sensible option unless you want to fork out for a high tech product such as Sikkens Novatech which costs almost 5 times as much.

You could try clear tough coat (i think by Shedcare) as need to treat your shed with a product that has a protection against mould and algae as this looks after the wood more. In this day an age it also helped coz it is enviromentally friendly.

if you use the spirit-based Cuprinol Shed and Fence preserver (you have to keep stirring or shaking it as the colour sinks to the bottom) then in a couple of years the surface of the wood will have roughened as the weather erodes it, and you can then use any of the water-based fence stains, which leave a coloured, waxy film on the surface that repells water and is also decorative. This water-based stuff is very cheap, and very quick and easy to apply and recoat. It helps to clean the surface off with a stiff nylon brush if there is dirt or moss on it first.

when applying preserver pay enormous attention to the timbers near the ground as rain will splash up onto them. I find it easier to treat before assembly.

**** edited, oops, I should have looked at the date the question was asked. Too late for a reply, now ******** :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back