Shelf Help

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have some questions about a small project that I'm taking on. I am turning this block of wood into a small shelf to hold pill bottles. See picture below.

If you know of anyone who could answer these questions for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

1. What grade of sandpaper should I use on this wood? I don't know what kind of wood it is though.

2. What kind of glue would be good to glue on these bottle caps to the wood? I plan on putting them around the sides and front of this block like a railing.

3. I think my bedroom wall is plaster. what bracing on the bottom would I need to secure it to the wall?

4. Do you know of anything else I might need to secure it to the wall?
2016_08_07_15_09_29_zpsgniu3zw6.png

Sponsored Links
I would start with an 80 grit abrasive paper with an orbital sander....you can easily go down a grade to remove more material or up a grade to finish off.
To secure the bottle caps consider using an epoxy adhesive such as Araldite.
If your wall is plaster into brick then 6 or 8mm diameter wall plugs will be fine - so long as they enter the brick! if the wall is hollow, have a look at 'hollow wall anchors'.
It would be best to mount a bearer onto the wall the same length of your timber - maybe with support at the ends for strength to keep the shelf at 90 degrees.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back