Shimn / packers under steel beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally bolted the steel beams together in the loft for our loft conversion, and there is a 6m beam bolted together resting on concrete blocks either end. There is about a 15mm height difference to make the beam level at one end needed. (The beam is probably sagging at the joint where its bolted.)
Question = what can I use as a shin / packer? Slate / mortar I've been told might crack and not be best practise. Steel shims / packers have been suggested but where can I find these? Am guessing plastic backers are not good enough? The beam supports the wooden joists that meet in the middle of the space.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A bit of flat mild steel plate.

A structural steel company or a local engineers.

Offcuts are often sold on ebay.

Sponsored Links
I got a 100x100x10mm spacer from the place I got my steels, they didn't charge me and made me a coffee when I picked it up (y)

2:1 mortar. Slate. Clay roof tile.

You might want o straighten the beam while you are at it if it's holding the floor up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back