Shiney black worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi does anyone recommend glossy finish black kitchen worktops? I'm debating over whether to have this finish or the Matt black finish laminate because so many people say its a nightmare to clean!! It looks great in the showroom though but not sure about maintaining it!!

Sponsored Links
in my humble opinion

dont touch gloss with a barge pole :D :D :D

looks good when new and clean
normal worktop wont look dirty with water marks gloss does

little scratches dont show up on normal worktop but on gloss you cant miss them
gloss also seems to scratch at the drop off a hat

in otherwords if you like polishing and dont use the kitchen great :D :D :D

if you occasionaly use the kitchen ok

but if you use your kitchen for cooking would avoid gloss

How about black granite Sinks? Are they also prone to marks and stains or will they be ok?

prob to late to reply to this but I have high gloss black worktops... (this was not through choice..but thats another story)

They look gorgeous............

when they are clean and polished.
Hub works, I work part time, have 3 young boys... impossible to keep polished.

Not as bad as I had thought though.

you can see the water marks after wiping tops down, unless you polish.

I have a large expanse of work top and they look good apart from the ones in direct sunlight where you can see every little scratch (rather like on some blck cars)

so, if your kitchen isnt particularly sunny then they look better than in bright sunlight where they are a nightmare to manage.

not a technical answer granted... but a practical one! good luck

Sponsored Links
i agree with big-all, if you are pre disposed to go looking for tiny scratches, you sure as heck are gonna find them on shiny glossy work tops.
they'll drive you nuts!

Brother in law has these! worst thing they have had, like all the other comments - they look good, but a nightmare to maintain and the end of the day "Worktops" are there to be heavily used - not to watch what you put onn them!

They have had to put small soft pads on the tea and coffe pots to stop them scratching it!

Just to let you know don't buy black gloss worktops, total pain mine have been fitted less than a week and i'm trying to convince hubby to get them changed. I have four kids and they aren't allowed to breath near them because they scratch that easily, only joking. I am really disappointed with mine it has ruined the pleasure of getting my new kitchen. Going to see if I can buy some big worktop savers tomorrow.These worktops should be fitted with a government warning, these worktops will drive you mad! Buy a cheaper one they look better and last longer.

try wiping on some baby oil, only a bit then buff with a clean cloth, not a duster or you get yellow bits of fluff on it, mine have come up a treat

Hi
Having heard awful things about the gloss finish laminate worktop I have now changed my mind about it. We are trying to update our kitchen (just moved in) and as it is a big kitchen cant afford to replace kitchen units (walnut colour..ok condition) so looking at replacing the green (yes green!) worktops. So what do you think of the black matt look? My potential fitter (quoted £777 for matt finish to remove and replace and fit new sink...reasonable???!) did warn me about the gloss and suggested a semi-gloss version that is slightly textured or just the straight matt. Is black going to be a nightmare colour or is it the gloss finish that is the nightmare?
Any opinions appreciated.

We have gloss worktops, its a rented house.

Mark at the slightest thing touching them, if you've a choice, avoid them at all costs
:rolleyes:

Wow, this thread is a resurrection of a resurrection :eek: It's not even Easter yet.

Anyway to answer your question brock, matt black is fine, it's just the granite gloss style that has caused all the hullabaloo.

The reasonable-ness of the quote you have depends on how many lengths of worktop will be needed, how much the sink and tap will cost, the quality of sink/taps/top. How many days the fitter thinks it will take, and whether he will be making good and tiling afterwards.

Thanks for opinions so far!
Just heard that sis-in-law is having black granite (she's posh) in her new kitchen and seeing as we are seeing them at xmas will check out how i feel about the colour ie still shows every bit! Cant say she is house proud at all and with 3 kids surely i'll get a feel of it all??!!! Oh plus there are 20 odd of us for dinner and she does cook a lot.
So generally the black colour should be ok but i should go for matt? Anyone else??
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back