Shock arrestor fitted, Pipes still tapping, pic added

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Okay so ive changed the faulty TRV and locksheilds in both bedrooms. Also i have added a water hammer shock arrestor close to where the banging was coming from.

Now its a very small tapping noise, there is no movement in the pipes at all when i hear it so i dont think its movement in the pipes.

The pipe work to the rads contain approx 4 90 bends. Could this be cured by simplifying the pipework?

Also it sounds crazy but what if i wrap the pipes in question with insulation like this http://www.tundrafoam.com/tundra/tundracommercial.html as sound proofing to muffle the sound, you think that would work?

Any other ideas? Ive tried turning down the pump, and pressure in boiler is 1bar when cold.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A shock arrestor on ch pipework :eek: . Should not need that. Is it a combination boiler system or regular condensing boiler? Has the pipework been clipped under the floorboards not allowing for thermal expansion ? More info. needed on make of boiler and type of system. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply andy, should have linked to my previous post...

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=784860

No the pipes arent clipped, they run across joists etc. Ive tried lowering the pump pressure, changed the trvs, bleeding rads.... Im in real need of some ideas :s

The pipes arent banging together or moving, its like a clicking noise inside the pipe. Im happy to try anything, as its driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance

has the syatem always made these noises or has it occured after a boiler change? If after a boiler change then the flow and returns may have been connected the other way round. You could have some trv's that are not bi-directional.

Sponsored Links
A long shot :!: It might just be a ball of solder rolling about when the water flows...........rare, but I found one :cry:

The noises have been there since ive moved in 6 months ago. No new boiler.

What if i change the pipework in that area for plastic Hep20? You think that would help?

I agree with Nige, It could well be a piece of loose solder or some thing in the pipe. Strip it out and run that section in Hep2o.

That model comes with really big shock arrestor built in, only wb don’t call it that.
Is the sound there when the boiler comes on, or all the time?

By the way, it looks like there have been some diy alterations on your system, teflon tape does not belong on a compression thread

Striped out the pipe and installed Hep20, made the pipes simpler with less 90 bends etc, seems to have done the trick.

Left the shock arrestor in there for good mesure!n

bengasman LOL yeah there there has been "DIY alterations" i did that whoops ;) I always thought tape was needed on compression fittings, i stand corrected! I blame my Dad for that!

Thanks again all for your comments and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back