Shocking TV Aerial cable

Remeber, if all other causes have been ruled out, then no matter how unlikely one may be, if it is the only one left then it must be the cause.
You must be lucky. In my experience wierd faults never reduce simply to one moderately unlikely cause, just a wider and wider field of progressivly more and more long-haired 'perhaps its this then?' options.
However, I agree, but if the effect goes away when TV is unplugged, its a very likely candidate, and one easier to check.

Sponsored Links
Map, that would have been my first thought until I reread his post a couple of times before posting, in this he says he got the tingles when he was working on it after cutting the cable and this would imply, though not rule out, any voltage originating in at the TV end, but perhaps this is to do with the wording of the post.

FWL_Engineer said:
Map, that would have been my first thought until I reread his post a couple of times before posting, in this he says he got the tingles when he was working on it after cutting the cable and this would imply, though not rule out, any voltage originating in at the TV end, but perhaps this is to do with the wording of the post.
which is why i suggested that a power supply to an amp was in circuit but apparently not so very strange? certainly measurement will help deduce if induction is the cause but i would suggest using a digital meter rather than analogue as that will drag any induced volts down then perhaps an analogue meter to see if real volts are present.

Kendor, I agree, digital multimeter will be far better than an analogue one.

Sponsored Links
A digital one could show the presence of an induced voltage that in reality collapses as soon as any load is applied.

OK, didnt manage to get my hands on a spare TV, but I disconnected the aerial cable from the wall to the back of the TV and ........no shocks when re-connecting it up to the amplifier, and no dimming light.

So it seems to be related to the TV somehow.....

The way I have left it is Y connector on the input connector for the amplifier with the aerial main aerial and the cable down to the TV on the split end, and my PC card getting the amplified feed.

I spose I would never have realised there was a problem hadnt i bought the unit to see this fault.

You probably still need to look at the TV - at the very least it is shorting (to DC) the coax - possible if the tuner is inductively coupled at the input, but more it sounds as if there is a possible fault with the isolation between the TV 'innards'and the socket at the back, making the antenna partly live. You should get that looked at. I presume the splitter happens to intoroduce some isolation, but relying on it is not ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back