Shocks from Kitchen Appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Go easy on me, I'm not an electrician but after some advice.

My wife and I are getting shocks in our kitchen... its not limited to one appliance but is often worse when touching something else metal at the same time. IE I touch the dish-washer and the sink.

This is happening when touching the dishwasher and metal sink, or toaster and metal bread bin or any other combination of the above.

I've never felt anything from the oven and the washing mashine etc are in the utility room and not an issue.

The sink is earth bonded already.

The matter is made worse, like all things electric is hands are slightly damp.

If you are able to help, it would be appreciated. This has been an issue for some time now but does seem to be getting worse.

We have an electrician coming on the weekend.

Cheers, Karl

Sponsored Links
possibly poor earthing on circuit supplying appliances but my guess would be static

possibly poor earthing on circuit supplying appliances but my guess would be static

Could statis really cause this?

From what I've experienced... if I touch something to get a zap, I would say it does'nt dis-charge, I will continue to get the same level of shock till I let go...

Almost seems like its an electricity leak than static.

That said, Im no electrician so please dont be offended by my questioning!

Sponsored Links
Unsure from the post but -

is it only when touching the dishwasher and something else or two other items?

Unsure from the post but -

is it only when touching the dishwasher and something else or two other items?

It happens when touching the dishwasher and another metal item.

Also happens with toaster to something metal.

If hands are wet, no need to touch anything else and just get a shock from the elecrical appliances themself.

Hope that makes sense.

I presume the dishwasher is plugged in under the worktop.

Would this happen to be under the toaster socket?

I presume the dishwasher is plugged in under the worktop.

Would this happen to be under the toaster socket?

If I remember rightly, the D/W is plugged in under the worktop (hidden away) but is controlled by a switch next to the toaster plug above the worktop.

Im not sure if thats a fused (switched) spur.

Do not use any electrical appliances in the kitchen until this problem has been rectified. You need an electrician asap.

It happens when touching the dishwasher and another metal item.

Also happens with toaster to something metal.

If hands are wet, no need to touch anything else and just get a shock from the elecrical appliances themself.

Hope that makes sense.
That does.

This doesn't:

... or toaster and metal bread bin ...

We have a stainless steel bread bin so if I touch the toaster and the stainless teel bread bin, I get a zap.

We have a stainless steel bread bin so if I touch the toaster and the stainless teel bread bin, I get a zap.
As BAS said, assuming that the bread bin is not connected to your electrical installation, that makes no sense.

Kind Regards, John

As BAS said, assuming that the bread bin is not connected to your electrical installation, that makes no sense.

Kind Regards, John

Right, using a bit of common sense... is a sink electrical? No one questioned when I mentioned that.

I originally said, if i touch the D/W and sink... ie the sink is metal.

I then said, I touch the toaster (which is electrical) and a metal bread bin.

I dont really understand what I have said wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back