should I bother with window board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As part of bathroom refit I removed my previously tiled window reveals. This left brickwork as all the old plaster came off with the tiles.

Had the room plastered and the plasterer redid all the reveals in plasterboard and then skimmed. This included the bottom reveal, where he bedded a new piece of plasterboard on the bottom and skimmed it.

Its a nice finish, and I'm thinking whether I now need to put a window board on at all? If I was to do it it would be just bedded onto the bottom reveal with gripfill. But should I just leave it as a nicely plastered opening?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

I would say you don’t but you will need to have something that is water proof or water resistant over the plaster, due to the plaster by its self having no knock ability ( unable to take much wear and tear ). You could have tiles, glass, or timber window board but remember it’s not carved in stone that you should have one at all its all down to you.

as said previously a window board is easily wiped and will take knocks.

there are two things you can be sure of with a horizontal surface inside a home:

it will get dirty.

it will receive an impact.

three things you can be sure of.....women will put clutter on them! :evil:

Sponsored Links
I like the idea of a glass shelf. Cheers bespoke and all.

Merry Christmas!

Hi

Glad to be of help; if you do go down the glass route then you should be thing of toughened glass and the edges polished all round (par) and stand the glass on small clear plastic buffers like the ones you see on kitchen cabinet doors. All so don’t have it cut to tight a fit say 8mm short on the width and 4mm on the depth. This will keep the glass off the plaster and hence keep condensation at bay by allowing air to circulate. And final I would consider going for 10mm glass it will look the part and will not cost you much more 6mm looks so cheap.

Hears wishing you and you loved ones a very magical Christmas and a fantastic new year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back