Should i change my gas boiler..Ideal Classic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Due to some work im carrying out it is essential i have my gas boiler moved into the garage.
It is an "ideal classic"..a no frills kind of boiler.
It is about 10 years old id imagine possibly more and it trips out quite a bit...if i tap the control box it comes back on (dirty contact or something id imagine)

Anyway ill be adding 2 more rads in the garage bringing the total up to 10 rads.
Im wondering if the newer boliers are much more efficiant than this model or should i hold onto what i have and try fix the small problem with it?..or even if the boiler is already maxed out with 8 rads and im wasing my time trying to run another 2 off it.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
what model classic?if it was my house and the boiler was large enough i would keep it it will outlast 99% of newer boilers with some tlc:cool:

Depends on btu output of boiler wether it will take ten rads but if big enough it`s One of the best boilers about, move it and have another ten years out of it. check for loose wires/ faulty board. cheaper than a new boiler.

Before deciding to move it, check whether a new flue is still available, these are usually the only part that can get damaged in a move. Not sure if new classic flues will fit old ones. Probably will but just check.

Sponsored Links
One of the best ever gas boilers, will be repairable as long as you find someone competent. I'd keep it unless the heat exchanger splits (very unlikely).

...that was quick!!!
Just checjed the model...its an ideal classic NF 50
The power ratings are 18.3KW input 14.7KW output...that OK for 10 rads(none of these rads are terribly big and its only a 1200 sq foot house)

The flue is already damaged so will need replacing.

Cheers
Marty

Is the boiler in Ireland if so is it on a sealed system kit and is it on LPG or mains gas, do you have to press o/heat reset at all? Adding 2 rads shouldn't be a big problem. I've stretched the output of a back boiler 55,000Btu/h to cover a modern insulated extension with K glass etc.

Output should be fine, and as the others have said, there are few modern boilers that can mach it for reliability and simplicity... Something Ideal have sadly forgotten.

I also have a Classic but I do have to say that I am itching to replace it with a condensing boiler. But then I always rush to get the latest technology.

The only reason that I have not done so is that its on a vertical flue and a three story house and no easy access to replace the terminal.

My situation is rather different as I can easily repair any condensing boiler that I would fit.

Before making any decision, check the availability of the flue as that may make moving it impossible.

Tony

they are still availible in ireland,i fitted one on lpg earlier this year down south,out of all the classics i have fitted it is the only one to give bother :cry: [dirty gas]

Agile said:
I also have a Classic but I do have to say that I am itching to replace it with a condensing boiler. But then I always rush to get the latest technology.

Hate to see you when you take your time then Tony :LOL: Reliable condensing technology has been around for a while now :eek:

Before making any decision, check the availability of the flue as that may make moving it impossible.

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my previous answer :rolleyes:

Cheers All,
Yeah boiler is in ireland...down south!!

Nixt...its on mains gas..what do u mean by a sealed system?

Bripl..where did u pick up the flue?

The part of the flue that is damaged on mine is the where it exits the cavity wall...took a few knows during construction work.

cheers,
marty.

plumb centre part of the wolsey group how far down south are you?

gas4you said:
Hate to see you when you take your time then Tony :LOL: Reliable condensing technology has been around for a while now :eek:

Yes, I have got a Trisave in the garage! They were not the most reliable! As far as I can tell there are at least two still in use.

Its just the problem of roof access that hinders me.

Tony

Hi bripl..im quite a way down...Limerick if u know it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back