Should I fit a Sentinel/Magnaclean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of replacing my house radiators (1 or 2 at a time as funds allow) and some of the pipework. I've re-filled the system with X100 inhibitor as the water from each old rad is very black in colour.

The boiler is an old Worcester 12/14 oil burner, and whilst it runs happily enough I'm wondering whether fitting a cleaner/filter will be a worthwhile investment or am I unlikely to see any benefit.

Sponsored Links
Yes you should

a lot of the volume of dirt will be black magnetite which a Magnaclean will remove fast and with ease (helped by a chemical cleaner like Sentinel X400 which loosens it). this is the stuff that usually causes blockages. It will not attract non-magnetic things like drowned spiders, blobs of solder, limescale, plumbers' cigarette-ends, brick dust or brown rust, so you should drain and flush to remove what you can of these.

I am not a plumber but have used both methods. IMO if you have just had a powerflush and the syst is very clean, it is worth putting in a Sentinel or other particle filter, but otherwise, if you have a lot of black in it, the Magnaclean will get it out.

You will be amazed and delighted to see what a lot of black sludge it collects.

Be sure to use an inhibiter when refilling after your flush, to reduce future corrosion.

Am I going to need to flush the system then, I wondered if I could just fit one and let it do its stuff ?

Sponsored Links
you could do, but you wil get better results if you flush as well. you can do this after running the cleaning chemical through the rads for a few weeks with the heating pump running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back