Should I Protect Railway Sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished installing these pressure treated railway sleepers in my front garden. There will just be grass running between them (No Flowers)

Should I add some DPC or Plastic sheeting to prevent the soil causing/accelerating rot? The sleepers are also sat on soil.

I believe they are tanalised pine timber

View media item 82284

Sponsored Links
I have just finished installing these pressure treated railway sleepers in my front garden. There will just be grass running between them (No Flowers)

Should I add some DPC or Plastic sheeting to prevent the soil causing/accelerating rot? The sleepers are also sat on soil.

I believe they are tanalised pine timber

View media item 82284

I'm not wishing to be funny here, but that is the finished installation??

;) no it isn't, but in terms of the sleepers that you can see in the picture they aren't moving. Why what am I missing?

;) no it isn't, but in terms of the sleepers that you can see in the picture they aren't moving. Why what am I missing?

Erm, well that mound of earth will certainly be moving sometime soon. You are missing adequate support!

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure whether the picture is that clear... The mound has been in situ for 15years. The sleepers are barely retaining any weight and are just a decorative feature.

I know you are trying to help mate, what do you suggest I do/did different?

Certainly an...interesting...design.

Anyway.

What is important is that the timber is properly treated for ground contact use. A number of suppliers sell poorly treated timbers as "sleepers", they are shall we say, stretching the meaning of the word.

The point I am getting to, is that if they are properly treated then it doesn't matter much if you put a DPC there, a DPC will just trap moisture as much as prevent it.

If they are not properly treated they will rot regardless.

Erm.... well.... errr... I think if it were me I would flatten off the top, drive some pressure treated posts into the flattened top and then attach the sleepers to the stakes.

Oh and as to the original question.. no need for a DPC, it's not going to help. Maybe a coat of wood preservative, but I doubt that'll really make a lot of difference TBH.

Cheers aron. I know it's different. Once turf is added and the bushes it soften it I am confident it will look right.

They are tanalised pine so they should be treated.... Can't comment on the quality really. It bit I hope they are good.

I was also concerned that an impermeable barrier would make them sweat.

Eddie - that's made me feel better :) that's exactly what we did. The soil is flattened down pretty much it just doesn't look it. and there are about 20 treated stacks which have been driven at least 2ft into the ground. I then used 150mm coach bolts to secure to the stakes.

I might give the dpc a miss then?

Eddie - that's made me feel better :) that's exactly what we did. The soil is flattened down pretty much it just doesn't look it. and there are about 20 treated stacks which have been driven at least 2ft into the ground. I then used 150mm coach bolts to secure to the stakes.

I might give the dpc a miss then?

Yeah, wouldn't bother, won't do anything.

Cheers guys. I guess I should have put the pics on which showed the stakes in position to make it clear.I was going to creasote the sawn edges of the stakes so may do the inside edges of the sleepers.

Btw, aron/Eddie, do either of you have any advice if I were to coat the internal wood which will be in contact with the soil? Type of preservative etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back