Should I remove this layer from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been removing wallpaper and think I may have been too aggressive, because there is a layer which has vertical lines (see pic) so I assumed it's paper. However when I scrape it, it breaks (see pics). Please confirm whether I should leave it alone? Thank you, 2022-03-30-21-26-05_AATSC.jpg 2022-03-30-21-26-21_AATSC.jpg 2022-03-30-21-26-34_AATSC.jpg 2022-03-30-21-27-49_AATSC.jpg 2022-03-30-21-27-59_AATSC.jpg z1.jpg z2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from photos but I’ll offer up one hypothesis. You might have started hacking into the Ames tape joint between the two plasterboard panels. It’s common for Ames tape joint(which is also made of paper) to start falling apart when subjected to the steamer. Try and avoid hacking at it any more and you might need to do some touch up refilling and sanding of the joint when you are all done at the end.

That's another layer of lining paper. You can see joins.
Oh the joy.
Oh well. Get at yet another layer of paper

Sponsored Links
You may have wallpaper directly on to unskimmed plasterboard.

And if you do, and you take that paper off, you may well end up with a very uneven wall of exposed gypsum plaster that simply crumbles away when you touch it. Take the top layer(s) of wall paper off gently until you know for sure what lies beneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back