Should I replace my heating system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I have a 1930's appartment, with a fairly old heating system. The pipes are all visible, run high up along the walls, and are about 2 inches in diameter (my plumber assures me these are huge pipes). I have old fashioned Victorian-esque radiators in each room - all installed in the correct places (under windows). It all works fine, although takes about 20 minutes to get all the radiators hot (apparently to do with the volume of water in the circuit?). I've just had a new Vaillant boiler and a Honeywell 7-day thermostat installed to control the system, which both seem to work very well.

I'd basically just like a few opinions from people as to what I should do with the current system. My plumber seems to feel that the pipework should all be replaced with modern pipework hidden in the walls. We're renovating the appartment, and aren't sure if we have the money to do such a big job. I'm not sure if the plumber just wants some work or not... When he emptied the system, he said the water ran very clear, which I understand means that there is no corrosion in the system. So, should I just leave it as it is? When it all fires up, the heating seems to work pretty well, and the radiators etc are all in keeping with other 1930s features in the flat (marble windowsills and fireplaces, oak floors, etc). What do people think?

Sponsored Links
Why fix what isn't broke :?:

Have the system balanced and inhibited and enjoy until you start to get problems. :D

I'm no plumber/heating person, however I'm in the process of getting a new system fitted myself so have picked up some stuff :)

I suppose one way to look at it is if it works, then great, no point in changing it. I also imagine that most people would want their pipes hidden away for asthetic reasons, nothing more. If anything I'd say having the pipes in the room just extends the reach of the radiators :)

So my 100% uneducated comment would be that if it's working, and the pipe diameters don't go against any official regulation, then why waste money changing something you're happy with and works?

What are the symptoms of the problem that you would like to resolve?

Sponsored Links
There's no real problem. Just the fact that my pipes are visible high up on the walls or along the skirting boards. We don't think they look too bad (or certainly won't once they're painted a nicer colour and match the colour of the skirting!). It's just that the plumber's so insistent they should be replaced.... There's certainly no legal problem why we can't have them.

amyboo said:
It's just that the plumber's so insistent they should be replaced.
Personally, I'd replace the plumber with one that's compatible with your heating system, not the other way around. ;)

Bahco said:
chuckalicious said:
I'd say having the pipes in the room just extends the reach of the radiators :)
Can you run that one past me again please :?: :LOL:
It increases the area of the heat emitting surfaces in the room. With smallbore rad tails this is negligable, but with b*ggering great pipes running full room height it could be significant.

Softus said:
amyboo said:
It's just that the plumber's so insistent they should be replaced.
Personally, I'd replace the plumber with one that's compatible with your heating system, not the other way around. ;)

Bahco said:
chuckalicious said:
I'd say having the pipes in the room just extends the reach of the radiators :)
Can you run that one past me again please :?: :LOL:
It increases the area of the heat emitting surfaces in the room. With smallbore rad tails this is negligable, but with b*ggering great pipes running full room height it could be significant.

That's actually been our experience - when the heating's on, the flat gets pretty warm pretty quickly! I'm thinking I might have to start a labourious trawl for another plumber who likes my heating! :(

has it got a pump?.....if not and system works that well, there`s another thing not there to go wrong :confused: ;)

You're the customer so you have what you want, after all it is your money.

Nige F said:
has it got a pump?.....if not and system works that well, there`s another thing not there to go wrong :confused: ;)

Nope, there's no pump. I think I'm going to tell me plumber to s*d off, find another one, keep my lovely old heating system and spend the money on something else! Thanks for all the advice.

amyboo said:
When he emptied the system, he said the water ran very clear, which I understand means that there is no corrosion in the system.

One word of caution about your presumption - I recently replaced my central heating system and the water also ran pretty clear when the system was initially drained. You should have seen the thick black sludge that emerged from the radiators when they were disconnected and removed though !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back