Should I replace this consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Just after a bit of reassurance really.

We had an electrical inspection carried out on a rental property and the electrician says we need a new consumer unit as the current one is too old. He said cost would be between £500-£1000 and that it he would need to source a special unit as the flat has white meter heating.
Unit is probably about 35 years old so I suppose it is right enough that it needs to be replaced.???

Many thanks.

Craig
fe3cce15-1b9a-40fe-baa7-f75829fad70f.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That is not what we called a white meter, years ago when we had wheels in the meter we had two independent meters one for economy 7 the white meter, and a black meter for peak power, it seems you likely did have that, but now the two have been combined so although your consumer unit is split, there is not need for it to be split any more.

Merlin Gerin now called Schneider I think did make RCBO's but I am not sure if just needs new RCBO's or if need whole board, but an expensive make so likely cheaper to renew whole board.

What I would be thinking is if what he has said about the CU is wrong, is the EICR worth the paper it is written on?

I’m surprised this installation got a satisfactory EICR last time

So yes I would recommend it be replaced

What other C2’s are on the EICR?

Sponsored Links
No RCDs, and depending on building height may need AFDDs as well.
Should have been replaced a couple of decades ago.

he would need to source a special unit as the flat has white meter heating.
If you are keeping that dual rate arrangement then a dual consumer unit would be required. Hardly a 'special' unit, they are readily available.

Thanks. Haven't received the report yet. Will keep all posted.

That is not what we called a white meter, years ago when we had wheels in the meter we had two independent meters one for economy 7 the white meter, and a black meter for peak power, it seems you likely did have that, but now the two have been combined so although your consumer unit is split, there is not need for it to be split any more.
I think it IS a dual rate meter, looks like 5 cables connected to it

Some meters you press a button and scroll through the readings. Zoom in, there's 5 tails (single core cables) into the meter, and 2 into the right side henley. It very much looks to be a dual rate meter, also called a white meter.

£960 +VAT to put right. Does that seam reasonable?

Attachments

• EICR_sandport_Page_3.jpg
    EICR_sandport_Page_3.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 83
  • EICR_sandport_Page_2.jpg
    EICR_sandport_Page_2.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 84
  • EICR_sandport_Page_1.jpg
    EICR_sandport_Page_1.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 82
£960 +VAT to put right. Does that seam reasonable?
Basically just the absence of any RCD protection, then, the rest of the report being essentially 'clean'.

They are presumably quoting for replacement of the CU, and how reasonable the price is will depend upon what they are proposing to install. Have they given any details?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back