Should I try and drain this pipe ready for when it thaws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I believe I have a frozen plastic pipe (picture 1) to one downstairs radiator in and extension as discussed in this post... //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255152

I am leaving my ch on a lowish setting even during the night to try and prevent other pipes freezing. However, they is a chance that outside temperatures could rise a little in the next few days and therefore possibly thaw out the frozen section of pipe (picture 1).

I can get access to part of this pipe in the extension loft where i can unscrew a connection in the pipe (picture 2). At this segment of the pipe they is normal unfrozen cold water.

If I unscrew this connection (picture 2) to drain the water into a bucket and then screw it back together, will this help prevent a possible burst when the frozen section thaws?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
If I unscrew this connection (picture 2) to drain the water into a bucket and then screw it back together, will this help prevent a possible burst when the frozen section thaws?

You cant just unsrew that and pull the pipe apart. Those push fits dont work that way.

Mr. W.

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

It does unscrew. I have already done it very breifly just to check if they is water in it. In fact the slightly darker patch on picture 2 under the circled screw connection is from the towel I had under it from when i previously unscrewed it.

Im thinking I could unscrew it over a bucket to drain more water out.

Pipes burst (split) when the water in the pipe freezes & expands into ice, you only notice its burst when the ices thaws back to water & leaks. The pipe will have burst already if it was going to so draining the unfrozen section will achieve nothing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks htgeng.

I will insulate as far as i can reach but i think they will be quite a bit that is inaccesable. I would disagree with the double post comment as I am asking a different question in this thread :D

Would it be a good idea to drain the pipe so if by any chance the pipe has burst they will be less water to leak out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back