Should I use washers when screwing plasterboard to studwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to fix 30mm insulation and then 12.5mm plasterboard to my rafters using 80mm screws - do I need to use washers to stop the screws going through the plasterboard? :confused:

Sponsored Links
no

as you tighten, the screw heads will start to pull themselves into the face of the board. Then you stop screwing. You have to press the board tightly into position first.

Sponsored Links
I prefer galvanised clouts, they have a large flat head that gives good support rather than a small cone from a screw. It's just simple mechanics really.

I prefer galvanised clouts, they have a large flat head that gives good support rather than a small cone from a screw. It's just simple mechanics really.

Simple mechanics dictates that a screw is less likely to move independently of the board as the board or the joist moves. Which is easier to pull out with a claw hammer - a screw or a nail? The action of a moving board on a nial/screw is similar to the action of a claw hammer

Screws are standard for over a decade now. BG* only specify screws, as does any modern architect's spec.

* That's 'British' Gypsum:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back