Should my presure relief valve really be leaking that much ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my new combi boiler for 4 months or so.

I've noticed while in the shower that I could see what looked like large drops of water passing the outside window.

Today for the first time it was not dark while I was in the shower, and I noticed so stuck my head out.

There was a considerable steady stream of water (assuming hot) coming from the pipe which was finished in a hook to the outer wall.

This continued until I switched the hot water off, and let the boiler cool down for a few mins.

It seems that it happens often, when I have the heating on and then take a shower.

Looking through the manual, it says
"The pipe may leak hot water........"
"The pipe should not be positioned about a door or window"

I live in a flat and the pipe IS above my window (that's why I saw it in the first place).

Should I call the installer back ?
Is something going really wrong for this to happen so often ?
How should that pipe be positioned for a first floor flat ? Should it have a drain run-off ?

Sponsored Links
Check the pressure at the boiler, If it is set to high (2.5+) when it is cold then when the boiler is on the temp/pressure will rise The PRV opens at 3bar. Check to make sure the filling loop is closed properly.

To me it sounds as though you're describing the condensate drain. If it's been happening any time you use HW or CH and you have never needed to re-pressurise the system.

I'm not a plumber but shouldn't a condensate drain be directed into a soil stack or a soakaway??

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies so far.

There is a plastic pipe (which goes direct to the drain)

Looking in the manual, it indicates the copper pipe with a bend it for presure release

I think its 1.5bar the last time I checked. Will look in the morning after its been on over night

must be either the filling loop left open or te expansion vessel

its defo not your condensate pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back