Should the condense pipe have a fall angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new member but long time lurker...

In the middle of having a new combi boiler fitted. Should have been finished by now. :evil:

I was just wondering if the condense pipe should fall at an angle to aid flow?

The small pipe on my boiler comes out and down vertically for a 6", then right angle for 6", then down vertical for 6" and then right angle through internal wall to sink waste pipe via a tee insert. No slanted angles at all.

The sink waste, which I put in, is at an angle to aid drainage, but the condense pipe meets it at a slightly upwards angle due to the installer miscalculating the position of the tee insert.

Surely the condensate will not drain away properly and may even back up if the pipe was to even slightly freeze. The system is in an outhouse, so gets very cold, sometimes barely above outside temp.

[/i]

Sponsored Links
Read the fitting instructions, I'm sure you will find it in there ;)

Yes it should, and the angle is in the manual.

And if it is outside the thermal envelope of the building it should be a larger size pipe and preferably insulated.

Again all in the manual.

Yes it should, and the angle is in the manual.

And if it is outside the thermal envelope of the building it should be a larger size pipe and preferably insulated.

Again all in the manual.
You following me onto all the threads tonight :D

Sponsored Links
Yes. it should be a minimum of 2.5 degrees, 50mm per metre. I don't really understand why every one is being evasive.

When you say registered, I assume you mean Gas Safe?

Yes. it should be a minimum of 2.5 degrees, 50mm per metre. I don't really understand why every one is being evasive.

When you say registered, I assume you mean Gas Safe?

That's right, gas safe registered and competent apparently. I've just read the manual and it does say what you've mentioned above.

Technically the pipework does fall, but in a series of right angles, not a proper slanted angle. The last run goes slightly uphill which is the most worrying part.
:confused:

bit like a ski jumper, the last bit is slightly uphill but once he's on the ramp, there's no coming back. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But it can - kind of.

Capillary action.

Which is why I said rarely. I'd think that capillary action seldom applies to 19 mm pipe however.

Had a word with the installer, he assures me that it's OK and if the boiler shuts down due to a back up in the pipe, he'll be straight up to fix it...

Very encouraging. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back