Shower Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

House with no shower apart from a really bad mixer/tap setup. House has hot water store and cold is mains fed. the mixer/tap just wont work due to the uneven pressure.

electric shower is not really an option for various reasons.

Is there a mixer/shower/tap thing that will work well under such uneven pressure?

My next thought was a venturi as I know these work well. The only problem is that for reasons not worth going into the pipework would not be able to be buried, so would need a bottom feed shower, I could then take the pipework from the taps under the bath.

Does anyone know of a good venturi with this pipe arrangment?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i've fitted a couple of venturi showers and even though i was very sceptical at first, they have worked faultlessly for 3 years now.

venturi showers use mains cold + gravity hot (unbalanced) you set the incoming hot temp + incoming mains up and the mains draws the hot into the shower with venturi effect.

Thanks for the advice on the venturi,

Basically the house it would be going into the only possible way that I can see of fitting one would be take the feeds from the bath tap feeds, out of the side of the bath panel up the wall then across left and up into the shower.

I understand the Jetstream has bottom entry feeds at 150mm centres.

Would this pipe configuration effect the supply and working of the shower?

I would suggest using chrome pipe to make the finished job look a little nicer.

Interested in your thoughts.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i recently fitted a mira mixer shower into a house with mains cold/gravity hot. they are going to have a combi installed in may, so i simply didn't need to pump/balance the hot/cold. all i did was install a restrictor into the cold feed into the shower valve and its working fine.

What type of resricter and where does this go?

Not sure there is enough hot water flow even to do this, with them balanced I think the flow rate would be worse than an electric. Cant be sure though

well, i chose to use the restictor that came in the box, it is designed to go on the shower valve outlet where the shower hose joins. with a little cutting down, i managed to get it into the cold inlet, thus drastically reducing the amount of cold entering the valve. i then turned the stat up in the cylinder to 60degrees (the guys in the house like it at 45 usually) and so this gave me, small amount of higher pressure cold + low pressure amount of HOT water. the hot flow on its own is bugger all, but combined in this way it works a treat!

OK, the mixer/shower taps that are currently on the bath have been on for some time. TO take this course would abviously reduce the flow from the taps as well. Do not think the customer would want this.

Thats why I thought about a venturi, have one in my house and is fantastic, but able to pipe differently from the way I described above.

Hence the reason for asking if this configuration would cause a problem.

Thanks for the top tip on the restrictor, will have to try it one day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back