Shower booster pump intermittent but now stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After several years of satisfactory operation my shower booster pump has stopped working. Initially the first person to use the shower would be fine but every 2 or 3 days the second user would have gravity fed water supply only. I suspected that the "pressure switch" was sticking (is that what would turn the pump on when the shower is used?). This continued for 2 or 3 weeks but now the booster pump doesn't work at all.

The warning lamp on the isolation cord is still glowing so there appears to be electrical power available.

Do I need a complete new pump or is it likely that a new part is required. Unfortunately I can't remember any details about the pump other than that we bought it from Homebase.

Any ideas please?
Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Steve, pumps have various switchgear in them so get pump data/serial number/type and we should be able to assist futher. when shower running and pump not, is there any noise from it at all. Humming, Clicking etc..

Hi,
Sorry for delay. The pump is in the loft and rather awkward to see the label with the details on. With the help of my camera phone I have established that it is a Triton T550i. Model number 91900100. Serial Number 0036352. Other details on the label are IPX4 and G05.

While I was up there I gave the pump a tap with a hammer (cushioned with a block of wood) and it worked - once. The next time we came to use the shower it was back to the dribble again.

With an assistant turning the shower on I listened to the pump. The only noise sounded like water running through the pipes - no clicks or hums.

Another tap with the hammer brought the pump to life My assistant turned the shower on and off about 6 times and it worked fine each time. I came down from the loft and tried it again - back to the dribble again. :(

It seems like something is sticking which gets freed up when the pump is tapped with a hammer. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve

OK steve, this sounds like you have a flow switch operated pump and only a dribble to activate it. (and its not happening)

Whats known as a positive head pump generally need about 1 litre per minuts hot and cold inderpendantly to activat the internal FLOW switches.

If you have only a DRIBBLE, this generally wont be enough to activate it.

kicking, tapping, shaking pump, pipework, shower head/hose, turning on off on off quickly, turning the temp valve hot to cold, lowering shower head if not fixed head can somtimes get the water moving enough to activate the pump.

You or a plumber need to work out why there is not enough flow at the outlet. This could be lack of head (cold tank not high enough) filters blocked, shower valve restriction, scalled up shower head, flex hose to shower head collapsed internally or you need a negative head pump.

Let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
I have one of these pumps, they do have filters that can restrict the flow if partially blocked. They also have flow switches (spares are available) that may be at fault, if you can use a multimeter safely it is possible to test them.

Thanks for the tips. So hot in the loft where the pump is so not been up there much to try and resolve. I tried turning on off on off quickly, turning the temp valve hot to cold, lowering shower head with no effect. I've scrubbed the inlet filters (although no sign of limescale surprisingly). After this (and a light tap on the pump) it started OK several times in succession. Tried it again 2 hours later - still OK. At showertime - no boost!!

I'm going to chat to Triton customer service tomorrow to see if they can supply a new flow switch (and advise how to fit it). I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks again for your help.
Steve

Steve, have a chat with Triton but remember you need a flow to operate a flow switch. if you have no flow or a dribble it will not operate the switch.

if you open shower valve and you get next to nothing in flow it wont work and them your looking at why no flow/whats stopping it from flowing.

Triton T550I motor brushes are 5x8x15.5mm carbon blocks available on Amazon and many places . Need to completely dismantle the pump to put new brushes in, so need plumbing , electrical and mechanical skills

Regarding Triton 5550I pump failure, the Salamander RSP 50 fits in its place without any piping changes, using the same connections as you use on the Triton 5550I pump. Its also much quieter

Triton T550I motor brushes are 5x8x15.5mm carbon blocks available on Amazon and many places . Need to completely dismantle the pump to put new brushes in, so need plumbing , electrical and mechanical skills
How do you dismantle the Triton 550i? I was hoping the silver casing would come off so that I could get to the motor brushes.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back