Shower Cable Run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I’d bury it in the wall, no not a body, but can anyone advise does it conform to the IEE Regs these days to run a cable in plastic mini trunking with a snap on lid from the ceiling in a bathroom into a shower enclosure mounted over a bath.
Mastic has been used to form a seal where the trunking meets the enclosure, o and where the trunking has been cracked by whoever installed it and does the shower wiring need to be run through an rcd at the consumer unit.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
Forget the regs, the trunking sound dangerous, if it's cracked water will ingress, get into the shower and that's not cool :cry:

doesn't need to run through an RCD, but it is recommended - water and electric, combined with very wet people and metal pipes in close proximity . . . . . ;) you make the decision :LOL:

The cable for our shower was originally run in 6mm², we recently upgraded to a 9.5kw, so had to run in 10mm². Rather than hack off all the tiles (fully tied bathroom), we ran trunking from the floor to the ceiling next to the door for the cable feeding the switch, then down from the ceiling to the top of the shower (had to run this bit at an odd angle due to structure of the shower enclosure and the location of the inlet hole on the top of the shower). Used sealant to fill hole around trunking.

I cant see how this way of running the cable is any worse than what's in my Grandad's bathroom. They ran trunking down from the ceiling down to adjacent to the shower itself, then ran the BARE CABLE across the bottom of the shower, to the bottom inlet hole :eek: installed by a spark! (no it wasn't the same guy who done our consumer unit!)

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43998

This will give you 200-250w of light to play with - plenty for that size room.

As lights not measured in watts 1-1 I think :LOL: (But like you, I knew what you meant)
yeah, and the point of posting that in this thread was . . .?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back