Shower fan exhaust into chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an in line shower fan to install and would like to know if it is permissible to exhaust the fan into a convenient disused flue via a piece of 4 inch pipe set in the chimney breast in the loft. The flue is topped with a chimney pot at the moment and will never be used for combustion.

Sponsored Links
probabaly not since it will be steam, why not vent through the wall or as i did, out through the sofit

There is no soffit, the facia board is flush with the wall. I could bring it out behind the gutter but the chimney route would be a shorter straighter duct if it is allowed. I would imagine that being warm the vapour would rise quickly out of the flue and any condensation would have time to dry out between showers much as rainwater does in a flue or on any exposed brickwork.

I wouldn't.

preumably you shower every day, but it doesnt rain everyday and it never rains steam and warm water

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Though the roof tiles? more work though

I can get a duct to the facia of the main roof but it will have to have an additional 180 degree bend in it and be twice as long as going into the chimney, which is adjacent to the shower. My big mistake was not putting a flat duct in when I had the ceiling out of the rear addition and was putting Celotex insulation in. :(

breezer said:
I wouldn't.

preumably you shower every day, but it doesnt rain everyday and it never rains steam and warm water

I have seen it done elsewhere but I have reservations about doing it myself, which is why I asked on here.

It does rain most days in Bristol btw :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back