Shower Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my bathroom and wish to fit an extractor fan in the ceiling above the shower cubicle could someone please tell me if i can wire the fan into the ceiling light wire in the loft via a jb in 1.5mm wire to a 3 amp fused socket then on to the fan connections
i do not have the fan yet but was planning to buy a humistat type
The lighting circut above the bathroom already has a feed via a 3amp box to a light mirror and a shaver point, so with this in mind is it still ok to wire this way

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless your ceiling is 3metres high or more, you must not put a mains shower fan directly above a bath or shower. This is for electrical safety.

You can do it with a low-voltage one fed from a 12v transformer.

Electrical work in bathrooms is notifiable under building regulations. Have a look in the Electrics UK forum and look for "Part P"

I don't think you mean "socket." If you are taking it from the lighting circuit this is already fused at 6Amps so no further fuse is required.

You must provide an isolating switch so that the fan can be made safe for maintenance. You will need a 3-pole one. This can conveniently be placed outside the bathroom above the door where it is in view but will not be mistaken for a light switch, nor operated by someone in the shower with their wet hands.

You should not use a junction box in the loft, the connections can come from the ceiling lighting rose where they will be accessible from the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back