Shower fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm sorry if this repeats a topic that I have been reading about shower installation, but my situation is a little different...

I'm thinking of getting a shower (have not made any purchases yet but I'm thinking 0f a 7.5-8.5 kW unit).

I'm a little concerned about load on the fuse boards that are fitted in my house. I have two crabtree boards.

The top one has in it the master trip (rated 100A). To the right of this is a 63A RCCB 100mA trip with three more trips (32A for the ringmain, 6A for a bathroom wall mounted heater (unused) and 20A for the ringmain to my conservatory). Unless I'm way wide of the mark, this box has a potential load of 52A at any given time (as the 6A trip is never used).

The bottom fuse board has a 63A RCCB with another 3 trips (32A for the cooker, 16A for the immersion heater and 6A for the lighting circuit). Again unless I'm way off, this box has a potential load of 54A at any given time.

My concern is that even though I have spare slots for more trips in either board, placing an extra load of 30-50A (depending on the wattage of the new shower unit) will cause either the main (100A) switch or the relevant 63A RCCB to trip as soon as I try to use it. I understand that the load on each board is likely to be a lot less than the fuse rating at any given time but it still seems a bit on the close side to me.

I'm wondering whether I need another box? Can anyone advise me at all?

Sponsored Links
Do you constantly draw 32A on your ring mains? Are all your lights constantly on and drawing the full 6Amps? Work out typical load on your ring main - things such as TVs computers, table lamps, your typical draw may only be 5A. You probably have a lot more to play with than you think. And instantly putting 50 extra amps on a 100A isolator will not make it trip, unless theres already 60-70 amps already on it (total 110-120)

Dont know why you have 2 fuse boards. If you do get a new one, just get one and have them all put in there. Its not uncommon to find 2 ring mains and a shower on one 63A RCCB (potential total 114A) but because the rings dont pull 32A all the time, there is no problem with this. I think its called diversity.

Thanks for the great advice - I thought that I would probably be OK - I live in a smallish 2 bedroom bungalow and we don't draw too much power at any one time.

As for the two fuse board deal - I have no idea why whoever installed them did it like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back