Shower Install Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!!
I just need some advice on this one!!!

I'm replacing my old shower with a new one. I was wondering will it be o.k. to use a Flexi pipe compression to connect to the inlet valve on the shower from the cold water pipe. the dimension of the cable is 15 x 15 by 300mm. the reason why i want to do this is that the space in the show is very tight, and I thought this idea was a much simpler job to do, otherwise i will need to buy some pipeing and do loads of cutting etc etc.

i think the only problem with this is that the bore itself is quite small in diamerter so it might restrict the water flow??

any help would be much appreciated.

Glyn

Sponsored Links
I believe that this will depend on what pressure you have to start with (is it high pressure). If your cold comes from a tank in the loft then don't do it. If you have plenty of pressure (combi boiler or unvented cylinder or direct cold from mains) then I believe you will be okay. I will be interested to see if others agree (I have fitted a few showers and always fitted the copper but been tempted to do what you say on one ocassion due to lack of space).

At the end of the day you can do it and test it maybe?

Thanks Goldspoon for the quick reply, Just been into the loft, the shower gets its feed direct from the mains. However i still would be intrested to see if anyone else has done this also if they have did they run into any problems.

thanks

Glyn

if your talking an electric shower supplyed by the mains then yes it will be ok.

but i still prefer copper approach, looks tidyer.
and i don't like flexis in walls etc.

Sponsored Links
optima killer do as seco services say you can use hep 2 o or simalar with push fit bends etc flexi connectors with rubber washers not really best bet for long term build in

o.k. thanks everyone. :) going to start the job now, i will let you know how i get on. wish me luck :)

Glyn

Hi guys done the install, I would love to say it all went well but i'm afraid not. becausew of the tight fitting of the shower connecter there was to much of a kink in the flexi hose which caused a preasure problem. anyway looks like i'm going to have to purchase copper and a 90 degree elbows its the only way. damn :(

Optimal,

As larrytheleak said earlier in the thread, you could use Hep2o, Speedfit, FloPlast etc. This is Plastic 'Push Fit' Pipe. You can get a range of fittings for it. See here...

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100985/Plumbing/Push-Fit-Fittings

Its flexible but if you have any really tight bends then you must use a fitting. The pipe requires 'inserts' when fittings are used. If space allows a 'long' bend then you can 'Cold Form Bend' using a suitable support bracket. Have a look at this for installtion instructions and parts...

http://www.johnguest.com/Catalogues/JG_Speedfitproduct.pdf

Hope that helps.

Job completed, used chrome copper pipe and got a copper pipe cutter all from wickes and a couple of compression elbows job done. :) no leaks well happy with the job and it looks better than the flexi pipe even though no one will see the pipe as its hidden inside the shower :(

Anyway thanks to every one who helped me!!!

Cheers

Glyn

two reasons, because the copper pipe is on show when the pipe runs down from the loft into the bathroom. So i decided to replace all the chrome pipe as it started to discolour, the other reason is it stops the wife moaning :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back