Shower Install Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an electric shower at presant but would prefer to have a thermostatic shower.My questions are can I take a supply from the hot water tap? and how do I know if the pressure is good enough or can you get showers that compensate for low pressure. The pressure on the cold water is really good which comes from a tank in the loft but the hot water is heated by the boiler and the water seems to run quite fast but I have no idea on the pressure. The last question is about the shower, I don't have much room in the wall as its breeze block. I could chase out for the pipes but is it possible to get a thermostic that does not need to be concealed in the wall?

Sponsored Links
Just a bit more info regarding your hot supply.
Does it come from a cylinder?

Measure the flow from both bath taps in litres / min.

Andy.:cool:

And is the supply tank for the cylinder in your loft at the same height as the cold water tank?

Measure the litres per minute from hot and cold.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
And is the supply tank for the cylinder in your loft at the same height as the cold water tank?

Measure the litres per minute from hot and cold.

Andy.

OK I'll let you know tomorrow

There are many surface mounted showers on the market which can be fed via surface mounted chrome pipes (or use boxed in plastic or copper if you like - depends how competent you are dealing with metal).

If you can attach a hose to the current bath taps and lift the end of it to your proposed shower head height, it will give you an indication as to whether installing the shower is feasable. If the water isn't subsequently acceptablem you could install a pump (but this will involve a certain degree of additional plumbing and wiring - it's up to how competent you feel. Even then it will be wise to get an electrician to do the wiring for legal and safety reasons)

Andy.
The cold water tank is usually the supply for the cylinder. Like a woman, it multi-tasks ;)

if youre tank in the loft is sited on or just above the joists then you probly wont have enought pressure to run the hot side of the shower. as a rule you need 1meter distance from the bottom of the cold water tank in the loft to the shower outlet on the wall in the bathroom.

if you are looking for simple pumped option you could go for one of the digital shower ranges from aqualisa or the mira platinum.

they both use a pump sited in the loft taking 15mm supply from the cold tank and the hot water cylinder.

theyre about the some price as a thermostatic mixer, shower head and pump but its alot quicker and easier to install

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back