Shower Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Total non DIYer here so . . .

I am installing a shower into a bathroom above the bath, i have a NIC EIC contractor to do all the electrics for a Mira ATL 9.8kw.

My question is:
I have a 15mm main powered cold supply to the bath (Well above 1.5bar), i have been told by the sparky that i can get a flexy hose from the 15mm copper to the 1/2" BSP in the shower unit. but i am unable to find such a pipe. also i am no plumber so i was hoping to use a 15mm self cutting tap! :(

I'd really rather not have to play with copper pipes and these compression valves are confusing me.

regards

Perp

Sponsored Links
Why not just get a plumber in to do the job rather than bodging it with flexi's

Sponsored Links
ok so i am learning that flexi's are bodging!

Can you advise on how this is bodging and what might go wrong?

Hi,

i am no plumber so i was hoping to use a 15mm self cutting tap! :(

I'd really rather not have to play with copper pipes and these compression valves are confusing me.

A self cutting tap will restrict flow to shower use a full bore one

All merchants, sheds and DIY corner shops will have flexis, otherwise known as flexible tap connectors or braided tap connectors or even braided flexible tap connectors. Standard length is 300mm (a foot), 500mm available from some places.

Most of them, though, will have a reduced bore. Cheap, but you gets what you pays for

So basicly apart from a decent reply from Charnwood the rest of you are just sarcastic ****s?

Admin remove my account, i don't need to be a part of this.

OP
you have to weigh up the costs

flexi pipes - not cheap and look naff and you will still need a compression fitting to the shower. make a mistake and you in trouble

plumber and a decent connection - a little bit more labour cost but a couple of pounds for copper tube and fittings, plumber makes a mistake - his cost not yours!

i would only recommend option 2.

So basicly apart from a decent reply from Charnwood the rest of you are just sarcastic

You post on a DIY forum claiming to be a 'totally non-DIYer'.

You then imply that you're skint.

As someone who admits to having no idea and no money, perhaps you could suggest to what extent you expect to be helped.

The compression fittings are pretty easy to get the hang of and you can get them pretty cheap from screwfix etc. You could go buy one and do some practice onto a piece of copper pipe, you obviously don't have the advantage of knowing it's water tight when practicing but if it isn't when you try it then it generally only needs checking over and tightening again. You can use plumbers compound paste on the olive if you like but you can get a water tight joint without. Main piece of advice, don't overtighten the nut, if it leaks just tighten it slightly more.

I would avoid the self cutting tap even if you want to stick to a hose. They restrict the rate of flow and they can cut in incorrectly and leave you with a leaky pipe and a soggy floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back