Shower installed but no extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my old Victorian terraced-house the previous owners installed a shower in the first-floor bathroom; however they did not install an extractor fan. The windows are sash-style so can be left partially open to aid the hot and wet air to leave.
Is an extractor fan the best thing the try to fit, albeit through a nine-inch double brick width wall (NOT cavity-wall style either), or is there a better option? Dare I risk not installing something, as presuambly, with no route of escape, my bathroom will be heading for problems if the hot air has nowhere to scape to?

Sponsored Links
You will get mould and dampness problems, if there is no extractor fan in a shower area, as the window is not adequate.

I had similar problem in my current home, instlling an extractor fan cured the problems overnight! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Opening a window can get rid of condensation quicker than a fan, so yes, it is an effective way to exhaust moist air.

I have a bathroom with no fan. We will open a window when showering or bathing, or in the winter, open it after leaving the room.

As your house is an older property, there is some risk that you will get condensation related problems in the wintertime but not guaranteed. Just carry on using the window and see how you get on.

Just beware the burglars. :p

Opening a window can get rid of condensation quicker than a fan, so yes, it is an effective way to exhaust moist air.

Just beware the burglars. :p
How come it doesn`t work for my
" wind :oops: " when I`ve been in the bathroom --and what sort of burglars

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back