Shower Installed just the RCD bit left.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I have an 8.5KW shower working fine on 6mm wire connected to a 30A separate rewireable fuse box, I'm sure this was fine before the part P regulations in 2005, I wanted an RCD for peace of mind. the double pole switch/wiring is fine and has been working since with no problems, but with budget restraints, I still haven't been able to replace the fuseboard with a new unit, so just fitting an RCD/RCBO box incl. labour & parts, how much would it cost? and I still don't know which one should be used and the difference?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Well I have an 8.5KW shower working fine on 6mm wire connected to a 30A separate rewireable fuse box, I'm sure this was fine before the part P regulations in 2005
It wasn't.

It was never 'fine' because the fuse is rated significantly lower than the load current of the shower.

As to fuse rating although technically it may not comply I don't expect it will cause a problem other than getting an electrician to work on the system. His problem is if he installs a RCD/RCBO then he has to sign it off. It is up to him to decide if he wants to say yes or no and no one could really argue with his decision either way.

In theory again no real problem fitting a RCD/RCBO but in practice it will often involve renewing some of the cable purely because it is not long enough to cut and insert a RCD/RCBO.

As a result it is near impossible to work out a price as the work involved can vary so much.

Back in 2007 when my mother was having a wet room fitted the electrician offered to change the consumer for £100 extra to the cost of fitting a RCD just for bathroom. Although I think he made a mistake mainly as he didn't allow for how old the installation was you could find the difference between the two jobs in price makes it just not worth doing shower alone.

Of course on the other hand the cost of fitting a proper shower powered from domestic hot water again has to be considered. I would not dream of fitting an instant electric heated shower in my house unless there was no other option.

But there is only one way to find the cost and that is to ask for a quote from local tradesman.

Back in 2007 when my mother was having a wet room fitted the electrician offered to change the consumer for £100 extra to the cost of fitting a RCD just for bathroom.
That's a bit off - thinking that a dutiful son would trade his Mum in and pay £100 to get a new one just to avoid having an RCD fitted.

;) :) :D :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well I have an 8.5KW shower working fine on 6mm wire connected to a 30A separate rewireable fuse box, I'm sure this was fine before the part P regulations in 2005,
As flameport said, it wasn't.

But that's irrelevant, isn't it, because you installed the shower in the last few weeks, didn't you.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=284359&start=0

I wanted an RCD for peace of mind.
Nothing to do with what the installation instructions say?

Oh - sorry - I forgot - you aren't going to take any notice of them, are you. (An 8.5kW shower on a 30A fuse? I really don't think so)

the double pole switch/wiring is fine and has been working since with no problems,
Apart from the multiply blown, and possible damaged fuse, that is...

Add the possibly damaged cable from having been used for a 9.5kW load beforehand, that is...

but with budget restraints, I still haven't been able to replace the fuseboard with a new unit,
There are no exemptions from the laws of physics on the grounds of economic hardship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back