Shower is not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower has been installed for few years now with no problems. I went to turn my ceiling switch on and a light appears. My shower units light does not appear though. I then turn my shower dial to on and nothing happens apart from my ceiling switch light disappears. Im assuming its a safety switch off, but no other electric goes off and when i turn my shower unit off, the ceiling switch light reappears. Any ideas? Would be a great help, thanks to anyone who helps, Mark

Sponsored Links
It may well be the connections in the switch, come loose and burnt out leaving a high-resistance path sufficient only to light the neon.

If you turn off the circuit and have a look inside the switch you may see signs of overheating. It seems to be quite common in electric shower switches.

If my guess is right, to repair properly needs a new switch, and also a proper tool to rejoin the cable (the burnt part needs to be cut out and replaced, unless there is plenty of slack)

It does sound like a joint has become loose somewhere. Might not be in the switch. Could be in the consumer unit or at some intermediate point/joint (maybe a ssecond switch or RCD somewhere).

Electric Showers nasty things = water + electricity. Get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back