Shower leak - bit of a mare

Had something similar, after regrouting ended up dismantling the shower enclosure and reinstalling, which did fix the leak.

Sponsored Links
Had something similar, after regrouting ended up dismantling the shower enclosure and reinstalling, which did fix the leak.

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid having to do that tbh as I don't have the time.

Any idea where it was coming from in your situation?

I've repointed all the iffy grouting, I've resealed with a 15mm bead at the base. I've sealed up the corners of the walls. I've had all the plumbing apart to check for leaks and it was all dry. The shower tray itself is bone dry. I just can't see where this moisture is coming from.

Without a doubt mine was leaking from the sides of the enclosure. Stripping it all out and redoing cured it. Fortunately my grand daughters boyfriend is a plumber, sorry gas heating engineer.

Without a doubt mine was leaking from the sides of the enclosure. Stripping it all out and redoing cured it. Fortunately my grand daughters boyfriend is a plumber, sorry gas heating engineer.

Ah do you mean stripping out the sealant etc? Because I've done that, spent hours cleaning the old stuff off using a proper cleaner, got it bone dry with a hair dryer, and then degreased it with meth spirit, wiped that off, then resealed it with good stuff, and let that cure properly before using the shower.

In fairness it was an actual puddle beneath the try before I started.

Or did you mean you took the tray out etc and rebuilt it all? I'm trying to avoid that. I am not sure the water is coming from the shower anyway as it's not even being used!

Sponsored Links
Mine was a shower cubicle and it was all taken down. Just left the tray in place.

Thanks.

Mine is a shower tray with tiles all around it. The wall to the left is studed out a bit. The bathroom guy said he had overlapped something or other to prevent leaks. From looking at it, id need to take tiles off the wall, the door out and then probably cut back the stud wall to get the base out.

So I think I've found the leak, if anyone else finds this useful. The bathroom fitters don't seem to have felt the need to seal the tray before fitting the door, and instead decided to seal the inside of the door frame to the tile and the tray. The door frame is designed as a gutter of sorts and should be sealed externally only. Not internally, as it should be allowed to drain into the shower tray. And, always always always supposed to seal the tray to the tiles first before installing the door.

So this had been leaking both from the trap not being fitted correctly AND the tray not being sealed properly AND the door being sealed incorrectly since I had the bathroom refurbed.

Pro's, eh.

Pro's, eh.
Nope

1698235842023.png

Agree, but, they were professionals because I paid for them to do this work via an established bathroom fitting company. So by definition they are pro and were time served trades people. I'm not shocked though. I have 2 new bathrooms going in next year and I will either do them myself or be watching like a hawk.

bathroom fitting company.
Nope, by that very definition I find a lot of them to be a jack of all and masters of none. Really hard to be a qualified plumber, tiler, plasterer and any other job that needs to be done in a bathroom all in the one chap, though a lot of these fitting companies use the same bods for it all.

Of course they're not all like that, though the really good ones that subby out to separate trades charge through the nose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back