Shower leaking. Can I just regrout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

This is my 1st post so sorry if I have made any errors.

Recently moved into our new house. We have an enclosed shower unit in our bathroom which has started leaking. After any prolonged showering it leaks down through the floor into the kitchen. The shower has a basin with a tiled porcelain wall.

I spotted a gap in the sealant between the tiles and the basin which I touched up. This temporarily solved the issue, but it started leaking again. I then noticed there was quite a lot of missing or cracked grout so i looked up a DIY video online and got all the tools for re-grouting.

I have just started scraping out the grout. Some tiles sit out from the wall further and many of the tiles are wobbly.

The biggest concern though is the entry point for the shower piping. The cover is not flush with the wall and there is a 1cm gap on one side where you can see straight in through the hole in the tile. There was a little bit of what looks like grout left where someone has attempted to fill it. Most has fallen out.

I have stopped the scraping to make sure I am not getting out of my depth.

I think I can do a decent re-grout and re-seal the basin. What should I do about the hole/Wobbly tiles? Would a re-grout be sufficient or will the wobbly tiles come back to haunt me?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
Wobbly tile should be refixed, so needs to come off, the adhesive scraped back and then new applied. The area behind it maybe damp and is best left to dry, then primed.
The best thing for the pipe entry hole would be silicon sealant (anti-mould).
Removing grout is a chore, but remember to get all the old grout out so you get a good fill of decent grout. i personally use an electric grouting tool (sonicraft) for removal, does a great job but you must have a steady hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back