shower mixer taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would like to change my existing bath taps to shower mixer.ive been told that i can use the cold mains water,but i always thought that the water pressure had to be equal for safety reasons.can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Yes,the cold feed should come from the cold storage tank for equal pressure.You will have great difficulty controlling the water temperature as the main feed can push back to the mixer tap up to the hot feed line as it is greater pressure.If anyone in the house turn on the cold feed,the cold feed from the main will be reduce and therefore shower will become hot water only.(ouch!)

You can fit a pressure equalising valve to the pipes under the bath.This will reduce the pressure to the cold tap to equal that of the hot tap.

ogoshi,

I do know about the pressure equalising valve,how efficient are they ? Is this just fitted on the cold mains ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It fits to both hot and cold pipes.Perhaps it would be more acurate to say hot and cold pipes run through it.It comes as a double unit,either 22+22mm,
22+15mm or 15+15mm.They are very efficient and have to meet relevant byelaws.(cant remember which byelaws and havent got my book to hand.)I havent used one for couple of years ,but i think they cost around £40.Hope this helps.

thanks for the advice on bath mixers.sorry its a bit late ,new to this game,cobblermartin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back