Shower Not Drainage Properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to solve the problem why my new shower tray after 2 months is not draining properly. The tray is fitted with a shallow water trap. It may be because of the water trap design, or the drainage out leading outside. The waste pipe is almost horizontal. Would that be the reason?

Sponsored Links
The problem is that I have tiles over the bathroom floor. That would be the only access. Is there another way?

It will only flow away properly if you have enough fall on it, if its almost horizontal it won't (as you know).

If the waste is above floor level try raising the tray a bit to get the fall.

If its under the floor this could end up being a bit more involved. If you don't want to remove any tiles from the bathroom floor, you could always try getting at it from the ceiling below (thats if your bathroom is on the first floor of course).

Sponsored Links
Yes you are right. The bathroom is on the first floor. The point at which the drainage pipe exits the outside of the house could be the solution. What if i hammer away at the brick so that the pipe can be lowered a few cm on the outside of the house. Is this possible? If so, would this put a strain on any of the points on the drainage pipe, especially where the pipe connects onto the water trap?

If it's "after 2 monts" it's because it has a buildup of soap and hair gunge. That's what you get in 'flat' pipes!
Start off by rodding it (should have access through the shower grille for a drain spring) and putting a bucket of boiling water down it.

Some drain cleaners/Mr Muscle type products are pretty good.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Used a drain cleaner which says on the bottle that it dissolves hair and soap blockages. The brand cleaner is called Buster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back