shower not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, i have just fitted a creda 550c shower, plumbed it all in connected the electrics but nothing happens, i have checked and there is power to the shower any ideas please :cry:

Sponsored Links
"nothing happens"

what do you mean by this?

how have you tested that there is power to the shower?

did you properly commision it as per the instructions?

"nothing happens"

what do you mean by this?

how have you tested that there is power to the shower?

did you properly commision it as per the instructions?

i checked with an electric screw driver that there is power to all parts of the shower,
it does not tell you how to commison it only tells you how to start it.
although there is power to the unit the wall switch light is not on but i think thats onlt the bulb gone

throw the neon screwdriver away. they are useless.

buy a multimeter and test for 230v between live and neutral.

or else call an electrician. You sound out of your depth.

The red light in shower switches dont go out like bulbs. They are permenant, they will last as long as the switch.

You have wired something wrong, or done something wrong.

What cable have you used?
What is the power rating of the shower in watts or kw?
What is the rating of the switch?
What is the rating of the circuit protective device?
Is said circuit RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a neutral fault. Those neon screwdrivers are useless so get a proper test meter round it to see if you have 230V. I suppose if the screwdriver lights up when placed on the neutral terminal that could indicate a break in the neutral as the lack of potential would cause the neutral to become live as power passes through the internal electrics of the shower. I assume you have no electrical experience?

Looking at it a Creda 550C is a large electric shower (9.5kW+) so you'll need atleast a 10mm cable. Is this a new installation you've carried out or are you swapping out an existing unit. If it's a swap out what was the rating of the existing shower in kilowatts (kW). How big is your supply cable? What sort of consumer unit (fuse board) have you got? What is the rating of the breaker/fuse feeding the shower? Is it on a dedicated circuit?

Need more info then you've already given to give any educated help.

Sounds like it could be a neutral fault. Those neon screwdrivers are useless so get a proper test meter round it to see if you have 230V. I suppose if the screwdriver lights up when placed on the neutral terminal that could indicate a break in the neutral as the lack of potential would cause the neutral to become live as power passes through the internal electrics of the shower. I assume you have no electrical experience?
Neon screwdrivers should never be used for any sort of test. They should be removed from sale.

Get a proper voltage tested (multimeter). A multimeter can be had for as little as a fiver and will give much better readings than your screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back