shower partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to build a partition on one side of a shower tray that is in the corner of my bathroom. The partition will come out 800mm and be at right angles to the exisitng room wall, however it will not go right to the ceiling, only to 2100mm. So, its only points of contact will be the exisitng wall and floor. My question/problem is stability and stiffness as it will be tiled. I have made a first attempt making timber framing intending to clad with WBP ply and/or backer board, but I just don't think it will be rigid enough and I really don't want to put a strut across the shower tray to the other existing wall (for aesthetic reasons).

My thought was to build it in block (75mm as there is a WC on the other side and space is tight). There are also the supply pipes to the shower mixer that will also run up through this wall that I need to consider. My qustion:

Is a 75mm block wall only connected on two sides (floor and one vertical edge) going to be stable - also considering the supply pipes that will need to be accommodated?

Any help, suggestions or advice will be very gratefully received and thanks for taking the time to post.

Cheers, Steve.

Sponsored Links
block that thin wont be up to it with chases for pipes :cry: ...I`m a hopeless chippy.......not a bad plumber ;) so I`ve used gripfill in studwall joints before and then gripfilled aquapanel tile board onto that ........this tightens everything up .....and aeroplanes are glued togrther :eek: hope this helps

If your shower screen has a frame member across the top that will add a lot of strength. Or you could have a chrome pole from top of wall into ceiling fixed to a joist/noggins.

This tolet cubicle is just 63x38 CLS and plasterboard but the door frame stiffens it up fine.

Jason

Guys, my first post and I am well impressed with the speed of your response!

Jason - Great looking bathroom in that pic. I was hoping to have a frameless shower screen, hence not wanting a strut, but appreciate I may just have to bite the bullet on that.

Nige - re. the pipe chases in 75mm blockwork, i was wondering if I could get away with an open slot - if you get what i mean - i.e there would be a gap in the wall to take the pipes up to shower mixer level then continuous blockwork over, then backer board on each side to tile onto - bad idea? Appreciate the advice re gripfill - you are right about planes!

Thanks again, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Well, Steve .you`ve given me an idea :idea: Yes create slots but tie the blocks together with a stainless steel walltie on each course .....then you`ll have a strong wall with plenty of room for the pipes

Cheers, Nige. I'm always a bit worried that my solutions to problems are bad ideas, so its a great help getting advice on here. Appreciate the advice re ties - what about putting galvanized straps in to tie it full length and back to the existing wall - or would that be overkill?

Cheers again, Steve.

bit overkill M8 ;) but you could tie it to exist wall with long zinc plated screws plugged into wall @ each block course level :idea: .......and screw+plug the aquapanel to the blocks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back