Shower power - am I being unrealistic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Here's the situation: when I moved into this house, I was beholden to what was installed. What was installed was a combi boiler (Ferroli Modena 80 E), and a crappy electric shower. The electric shower gave out a mediocre 'power' (I won't use the terms flow rate or pressure, as I'm describing a purely subjective shower experience here) and I was advised that the best way to get the 'power' up to the best level was to scrap the electric and go with a mixer shower straight off the combi. So, when I recently had my bathroom renovated, that's what I did.

The 'power' is a bit better now, but I'm still not fully satisfied with it. I'm aware that many people would probably consider my shower just fine, but I like a REALLY powerful jet of water from my shower, like you'd get at a quality hotel! Why might my shower be feeling a bit 'weak', still? I just measured the flow rate and it more or less matches what the manual says; I get about 10 litres of water per minute heating it up to 38C. Is it all in the showerhead? It's quite a big showerhead, and maybe it's not putting the water under enough pressure so it doesn't jet out fast enough? Or am I just never gonna get the kind of power that you would in a hotel? How do they get such a 'power shower' experience in hotels?

Sponsored Links
For a "big" shower, you need a big combi, yours is about as small as they come.

While it's more than enough to provide a satisfactory shower in terms of being able to wash yourself, 10 litres a minute isn't going to give you anything comparable to the shower in a quality hotel. If you simply want more powerful jets and you aren't too fussed about the flow rate, you might find that an adjustable shower head with a minimum number of jets open to be more to your liking.

Sponsored Links
Plate heat exchangers and booster pumps often used in hotels.

The OP needs a bigger combi and possibly a better cold water supply.

unvented cylinder will (depending on your incomming mains) 18litres at 3 bar pressure = big shower

I feared as much. I knew my plumber was talking out of his arse when he said combi boiler size didnt make much of a difference apart from big houses with multiple bathrooms. :) People should stop saying that a direct mains connection via a combi is 'good for showers' - it isn't particularly good for power showers.

That said, how much difference is a smaller shower head likely to make?

@simond: how could I measure the cold mains supply? Turn on the garden hose tap to the max and measure the output in a minute?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back