SHOWER PRESURE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me. I have installed a brand new shower valve with a facility for body jets. I've installed the shower head and four jets (obviously to different valves). The shower is great, very pleased. BUT the body jets are a different matter. the top 2 jets are low pressure and the bottom 2 seem about right. Is it because of the way they have been plumbed or simply not enough pressure. If it's lack of pressure, can pumps be used (combi boiler) or if it's the plumbing, how can I rectify the problem. I thought of installing 4 iso valves, 1 on each jet to balance them, just a thought. ANY ANSWERS ?

Regards Den.

Sponsored Links
Most combi boilers just won't deliver the hot water flow rate you need for your set up (and forget about pumps!). If you think you've got problems now just wait for the cold weather when your combi will really struggle. Tell us what model of combi you have.

It is a Jaguar which I have been told is made by Glow Worm for Plumbcentre.

as chris says a small (24kW) combi (especially the wonderful jaguar) is not designed for that amount of flow

did not the person who installed your shower express some doubts?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Corgiman (and Chris). The boiler is 28kw and I installed the shower system myself but I checked with Helix (The manufacturer of the valve and jets). Helix informed me that providing the pressure was around 0.1 bar min and 5 max, it would work fine. I then checked with Plumbcentre, who told me that the Jaguar 28kw was between 0.1 and 0.2

Have I wasted my time and money?

yep you probably have

pressure be damned that shower needs flow and lots and lots of it

Pressure and flow are different.
The amount of mixed water at showering temp you get out of your combi will depend on the temp of the incoming main as ChrisH says, but it'll be around 12 litres/minute.
The 28kW is the limiting factor - more flow and it would be less hot.
You'll probably get used to it!

Sounds like you spoke to muppets. It about flow rates, not pressures. Your fancy shower gizmo (water-waster, you're in Kent!) needs a certain flow rate (instructions should give you a figure) - say 20 (??) litres/min of water at 40°C - and your boiler will only deliver around 12 litres/min at 40°C in cold weather. The figures just don't add up.

I am grateful for your comments and advice but can anyone tell me how the problem can be improved on. The jets do not have to be used with the shower and vice versa. The shower, as I have said, is fine as too are 2 of the jets. What about the idea of the 4 iso valves or perhaps you feel I need a new boiler, if so, which.

Regards,
Den.

what is the mains water supply to you property like, as it is dependant on that.

Just shut off the two jets that don't work, and when the whether gets colder shut off the other two. The main shower should be fine on it's own.

Jaguar is a cheapo made by Protherm in CZ. Protherm are owned by Vaillant, which is where the Glow-worm connection comes in. You should try getting parts for them......

When we tried to get a diverter Parts Centre last year (both locally and nationally) we adamant there was no such boiler. Since Parts Centre is Wolseley Group and Jaguar is a Plumb Centre own brand - also owned by Wolseley Group - this was really impressive.

Anyway, before you bin either piece of cr**, I suggest you find out what flow rate the fandango gizmo requires, and then measure what you are getting through the outside tap.

A 28kw combi should shift around 12 litres, assuming you mix 2-3 litres of cold in normally, that means you will require an incoming flow of 15 litres per min to get the max out of the combi.

If your gizmo needs more than 15 litres per min it's all over, if not and you haven't enough water incoming an accumulator will sort it.

Personally, I'd turn off the jets and pretend.

Yes if you had a restriction in the pipe to the lower jets the the upper ones would improve, so you could have them all equal. I daresay you could arrange an experiment with a temporary partial block the lower jets.

You have a 28kW boiler - IF your mains supply is up to it you could eg swap it for a boiler up to about 40kW at considerable cost, or some other method - storage combi, separate mains pressure hot water supply etc, all jolly expensive.

THANKS to everyone who have posted replies, I am grateful. It's just a pity I discovered this forum AFTER I'd ****ed up!

I think what I'll do is restrict the flow to the lower jets with an iso valve thus balancing all four be it reduced. Then in the winter, and as suggested in the replies, simply not use the jets, just pretend.

That's the easy bit. : :confused:

The hard bit is going to be explaining to her indoors why I've just spent £300 on a shower valve, £140 on body jets and £80 on a shower head after convincing her I knew what I was doing and that she will be amazed when it's all finished. :oops:

THANKS GUYS !

Regards,
Den.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back