Shower problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been lurking here for a year or so, but now it's time for a question! :D

We've been having some difficulties with a Saniflo unit in my parents bathroom. To cut a long and rather messy story short, it's fixed but we had to drill a new hole for the flex through the partition wall to the FCU outside the bathroom as the old route was inaccessible.
The Saniflo is now fine, but the electric shower is completely dead. It'll be a few weeks before I get chance to go home and have a look but I thought I'd try and work out what could be the problem.
There was no power, not even to the power light which is usually always on. My dad checked the DP switch for continuity with a multimeter and it seemed fine, so assumed the shower unit must be shot and put a new one in. Still nothing.
Next thing he's going to do is replace the switch, although it seems unlikely to be the problem given it tested OK with the meter (checked both poles).
The breaker has not tripped and stays up, and the RCD has not tripped either.
It was only installed a few years ago and we know the Saniflo is on a dedicated 16A radial, not taken from the show supply or anything!
I suppose it's possible he damaged the shower cable when drilling, but I'd have though one of the protective devices would have operated?
The CU is a modern 16th Wylex board, installed just before the regs changed, probably 2006/7 same time as the shower. Could the breaker itself has failed?

Sorry for the long post, but I know you like details!

Sponsored Links
It could be the breaker but it seems a little coincidental given the drilling....

You could do with an insulation resistance and continuity meter.

Just been on the phone. It turns out the shower circuit has probably switched off when he was drilling, which I suppose means that if the break is 'clean' (i.e. not shorting to earth etc) it wouldn't have operated the MCB or RCD. He's going to have a look behind the FCU tomorrow (it's a plasterboard wall so it should be fairly obvious if anything was in the way of the drill.

Sponsored Links
First Test has got to be for power at the switch...

.if o.k. then check for power at the shower
.if not o.k.at switch check for power leaving the consumer unit
.if o.k,. then move on to continuity checks on wiring run.

Sorry but i have got to say if you dont trust your father doing a live voltage test, can you really be comfortable him doing all these other suggestions and frankly turning it on and having a shower if it does "work" after fiddling with something. :eek:

One thing you might want to consider is using one of the voltage pens (or your father) Doesntreplace a good voltmeter but it might help for an initial id if there is power. BUT it might not

If he going to poke around tomorrow, make sure he isolates the circuit again.
In fact isolate the circuit now, if not already done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back