SHOWER PUMP INSTALATION

Z

zorbas40

Hi all,
I am going to fit a RSP50 SHOWER PUMP, I have a gravity feed system with the water tank in the loft and the boiler in the first floor, and looking at the instructions it tells me that it will be better to fit near the boiler
I had a look in the loft and there is the cold water tank feeds direct above the shower (one pipe), and there is a hot water pipe in the loft again feeding (hot) the shower from above
Will it make better to have the shower pump in the loft and connect the pipes there?
OR do i put a valve in the middle of the boiler and then send the pipes up in the loft (to feed the shower)and do the same with the cold water, as I must not feed the cold water direct from the mains only from the cold water tank
I have put 2 pictures from the boiler area!!!
Your help is much appreciated THANK YOU

Attachments

• GB.JPG
    GB.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 148
  • GB1.JPG
    GB1.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
My advice would be to follow the guidelines from the installation instructions supplied with the pump. Other configurations may well work but if there is a warranty issue and the installation is not as specified then the manufacturer probably won't be interested.

And warranty issues with shower pumps are fairly common.

Thank you for your time the pump is second hand if you look the photoes and my descripsion what will you do?
kind regards

Please note that the pics you have shown are of the hot water cylinder and not the boiler. If you put the pump in the loft you will probably need a negative head pump. A normal pump can be sited next to the cylinder on the floor. Either way, the cold supply needs to come from the cold water tank via a dedicated pipe - down to the pump. The hot supply needs to come from the cylinder either teed into the pipe coming out of the top and at an angle of 45 degs or via a flange fitted to the cylinder depending on the instructions supplied by the manufacturer.

As the pump is second hand, you would not be invalidating any warranty if you connect to the white pipe coming out of the cylinder (the almost vertical part) with a tee fitting. Some will argue that you need to fit a flange but I have never had a problem fitting to the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Thank you that was the way i was thinking it needs to be done by the way can you feed and supply 2 pipes on the way up (slit them with a t )
so i feed 2 showers in both toilets?

You may find that the 1.5bar RSP50 pump might struggle to supply 2 showers without a noticeable drop in performance.

looking at the instructions it tells me that it will be better to fit near the boiler
That's really odd. The pump will be pumping hot water from the cylinder, not the sludgy black gunge that normally circulates through the boiler why would it need to be near that?! There is a diagram on Salamander's web site showing an RSP 50 connected to the cylinder. With the comment that "the best position for the pump is at the base of the hot water cylinder and as close as possible to the cylinder" http://www.salamander-pumps.com/how-to/install-shower-pumps.html

Last edited:
looking at the instructions it tells me that it will be better to fit near the boiler
That's really odd. The pump will be pumping hot water from the cylinder, not the sludgy black gunge that normally circulates through the boiler! There is a diagram on Salamander's web site showing a RSP 50 connected to the cylinder. http://www.salamander-pumps.com/how-to/install-shower-pumps.html

It is possible to tap into the hot water supply where it leaves the cylinder at the top if it's difficult to fit a special flange just for the pump.

He means the cylinder

Oh dear, if the OP doesn't know the difference between a hot water cylinder and a boiler, did they ought to be attempting this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back