Shower pump plans...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've been reading many of the posts here to gather advice about my own shower pump plans...

I'm planning to fit a shower pump to feed a single shower in my bathroom. I have poor water pressure in the wash basin and think I can use the pump to feed the wash basin too.

I recently fitted the wash basin and mixer tap and the hot water pressure went to almost zero. It wasn't great before but I guess the narrow pipes in the mixer tap have made it worse. Previously it had separate hot and cold taps taking 15mm pipes.

The HWS tank is on the first floor, same as the bathroom. The CWS tank was on the first floor above the HWS (circa 1970's wimpey council house). I have moved the CWS tank to the attic in an attempt to improve the basin hot water pressure which it did a little but not nearly as much as I'd hoped. Also I figured that moving the CWS to the attic would alleviate the need for a negative head pump for the shower. I have 22mm pipe from the CWS to the HWS.

My plan is to fit a pump in a space I have end of the bath and use that to feed the shower and the basin.

I've read quite a lot on here about folks having problems with hot water flow in the pumps and am thinking I should stick with a 1 or 1.5 bar pump however I have no real idea of the difference in shower pressure that a 1, 2 or 3 bar pump will provide.

What advice do you folks have about what I plan to do and what pump might be a good choice?

thanks

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Go with Stuart Turner pumps, what you propose sounds ok, only thing i would change is put the pump in the cylinder cupboard not under the bath, a decent pump will be around £250-£300 you can buy cheaper but beware, I would go for a 2 - 3 bar pump as 1 bar would not be that powerful, If your cold tank is say 4 metres above your hot tank you'll have 0.4 bar pressure as 1 metre head equates to 0.1 bar, that may give you an idea as to what pressure is what

Thanks for your Reply Morris. I do not have space in the cylinder cupboard, hence the plan to site it in the bedroom.

Glenn

Oh well, it'll just mean a little more pipe work, no probs though

Sponsored Links
worth making sure your storage tanks and cylinder are big enough to cope with the demand.

Thats why I was thinking of getting a lower pressure pump such as 1 or 1.5 bar... so it didn't use too much water.

I assume though that the amount of water used is based on how much I open the shower control and hence how much water I have flowing?

Recently installed my first Grundfoss showerpump, looks the part, feels the part and runs like a dream.
Make sure that you always have more than the minimum required head, no matter what happens.

Hi, just reading this post, does anyone have a diagram detailing the best place to put the pump and how to connect it up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back