Shower Pump Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house which has shower pump on the hot-water supply to a mixer tap and shower head on the bath. The pump is located in the airing cupboard next to the bath.

It is this pump - http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/mira/mira_PP2_shower_pump.htm

With the pump turned off, the water runs through the mixer tap very slowly and it is not possible to get a "warm" supply of water to run a bath as the cold pressure is much greater than the hot.

With the pump turned on, the pressure is excellent and water temperature can be controlled perfectly. I assume this is the reason for the pump in the first place.

Recently the pump has been failing intermittently. Sometimes it will work, others nothing. It seems to be more of a problem if the pump is turned on to run a bath, then turned off, then if you try and run the hot water again there will be no pressure.

Even when the pump doesn't work, there is the same "click" sound as when it does but the pressure remains the same.

Could it be to do with the temperature of the water?

I have opened the pump up and the rubber seal around the pressure regulating valve had deteriorated quite badly so I replaced the whole valve. This corrected things in the short term but the probably has since recurred, seemingly more frequently than before.

I know the pump is no longer being produced so could this just be a case of old age. If so, can anyone recommend a replacement? It's for the hot water supply only.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back